Monday, July 12, 2010

Getting sick of this

I wish the race had been two weeks ago when I was feeling strong and ready. Now I'm just feeling tired and stressed.

I got in only four workouts last week (two swimming, two running) and both of the runs were slow jog/walks. I didn't get on the bike at all until this weekend when I did another brick on Sunday afternoon. It was no fun at all--both the ride and the run were cut short because of construction. About 5 or 6 miles of the road that the ride is on is being resurfaced so you really can't ride on it, so I just turned around and went back the way I came, which made the ride about 3/4 of a mile shorter than it normally is. Unfortunately I did this shorter ride in the same time I did the full ride two weeks ago, so that's not good. The back end of the run had the same problem--they are resurfacing the path so I had to cut across a field, which cut off part of the route and one of the hills, but my run time was roughly the same as it was two weeks ago. Then this morning I went out for another run and for the first time in two weeks actually RAN the whole way, but now my time is slower--I had been doing 9:20 to 9:40 miles the past few weeks, but this time I only managed a 9:52 pace. I knew that slacking off my training would affect my speed, but this time it wasn't my fault! It was the heat keeping me from running full tilt, and after just a week of that I'm already slower. Maybe I just had a bad morning.

I need to find time to put in more time on the bike. Last year I commuted more often, and went out in the evenings more often, but last year was one of the coolest summers we've had in a while. This year all I want to do when I get home is hide in the a/c and the thought of commuting by bike isn't at all appealing.

Work is stressful right now, which isn't helping. And Connor is still not sleeping. I'll probably have to wear my train pajamas tonight. I think I'll move to Australia.

No comments: