Thursday, July 22, 2010

Since we're all posting, I'm going to join in

But I won't be as entertaining as Amy or Julie, because I don't remember my dreams from the last few nights, though I know I've had a very active dream life. The last dream I remember was from last week, and it wasn't funny. I was enjoying climbing out windows of places, and then I met a 12- or 13-year-old girl who was doing the same thing, only much more daringly. She climbed out of a window about 5 stories up, launched herself at a pole about 4 or 5 feet away from the building (I think it was a lightpost, but I'm not sure why it was so tall) and slid down. Then she came back up and did it again, and I was going to follow this time, only just as she got to the pole she failed to get a grip on it, and she fell the whole way and landed on her back, and I screamed at her not to move -- she wasn't dead. I just remember the awful look on her face when she realized she didn't have the pole and she was falling. Why do I remember a dream like that -- I very seldom have bad dreams -- when there is so much funny and crazy stuff in my dreams usually, and I can't remember those right now?

Anyway. TOTALLY off the subject. I had the long run on Saturday, then the 4-mile trail run on Tuesday, so to keep on schedule I went running today, just three loops close to home. I've started reading "Chi Running," which Sarah loaned to me, so I tried to set out like it was going to be fun, and I still felt rotten and was slow. I suspect all the people who say that running can be fun are people who liked it to begin with, then lost the fun because of the training, then re-discovered the fun. But I don't really love running, even over shorter distances like this, even when I'm in good condition and it feels good. I just don't hate it. And not-hating it is as warm as my feelings get, so I think it's unrealistic to expect that I'm suddenly going to discover the Joy of Running. I don't remember enjoying running even when I was little -- I hated gym class and anything physical, because it took me away from what I'd rather be doing. I don't recall doing the running around that kids do very much -- I just remember feeling kind of behind the crowd all the time (comes of being the fifth child!). The only sport I remember loving for its own sake was swimming -- I really LOVE the way I feel when I'm strong and butterfly is easy. I look forward to it and I enjoy it while I'm doing it (when I'm in reasonable shape) and feel good afterwards. That doesn't mean I want to do it EVERY day, but for regular exercise it wouldn't be so bad.

Oh, and tap dancing. I like tap dancing. I could do that every day. ;-)

No comments: