Thursday, July 15, 2010

Swimming, running, swimming, running

This gets very boring. Running around the lake at Centennial Park, I look longingly at the people out in kayaks. On our way to church we pass the starting point of some of the best mountain biking on the east coast and I wonder if that would be any fun.

Another month or so of this and then I can try something different.

This week so far I've had two runs, one swim. I may not get another swim in tomorrow, depending on if I have to head home at noon to get Connor off the bus while Brian goes off to GeekScape. I'm fine with that--I don't think my swimming is going to improve particularly from here, so it'll just be another year of surviving the swim so I can get on with the fun bits of the race.

My running, however, does seem to be improving! I don't know if you all saw my FB status this morning, but I went out for a run at the crack of dawn after my first full night of sleep in ages, and I ran 3.88 miles in 33:51, a pace of 8:40 per mile (well, according to mapmyride; using the Cool Running pace calculator, it's more like 8:43. I'm not going to quibble).

This happened not because I'm really fast, but because I filled out the map wrong on Monday, or rather, I took the wrong route on Monday and repeated my mistake today. I had mapped a 3.66 mile route around our neighborhood, but on Monday I hesitated at a turn, not sure if it was the right one, then went on to the next road and took the turn there, thinking that was the right route. I filled in all of my time information for the 3.66 mile run and saw my pace had been 9:52 per mile, which bugged me because I've been doing 9:20 to 9:40 pretty consistently recently. But I figured I was tired (didn't get a full night's sleep that night, and had done a brick the day before and was still recovering from that) so it was a fluke. Today, same route, I pushed my pace to make sure I got within my target time for the run. 3.66 miles in 33:51 is 9:20 per mile--much better. (I know you all really care about these stats, right? Be glad I'm not also giving you my average and maximum heart rate information!).

And then I looked at the map. My wrong turn added nearly a quarter mile to the route, so my Monday pace was more like 9:20 and today's was a blistering pace that I've never achieved before. I don't know if I can keep this up (and pretty sure I can't do that on the Columbia route after swimming and biking) but it's nice to know I can go that fast at all.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I noticed the other day that MapMyRun is wonky in how it calculates seconds -- I don't remember the exact calculation it screwed up but it made it look like I'd gotten even slower on my last couple of miles than I had. The 8:43 is correct for you (which is still totally amazing) because you ran for 2031 seconds, which is about 523 seconds per mile, or 8 minutes and 43 seconds.

I'm totally impressed by your exercise levels of late. Since my long run I've had three trips to the gym -- the first was the day after, which was a mistake, and the second was Monday of this week, which was pretty good, and then the third was Tuesday, which, right after the Monday workout, turned out to be a mistake again. My Achilles tendon is freaking out on me just as my blisters are starting to improve. Sigh.