Friday, July 09, 2010

I might not lose the foot after all

On Monday I tried to treat these foot blisters as minor but annoying injuries -- I went to the gym and used the recumbent bikes and everything. On Tuesday I cancelled my gym appointment but still tried to maintain other normal activity. On Wednesday I was in pretty severe pain but still hobbled around, ending up with over 5000 steps. I bought some of those blister gel skin-like band-aids and put those on both feet, but only the left one seemed happy with it (and it hasn't bothered me since -- I haven't even changed the bandage, since it's supposed to be left alone for 6 days); the right one kept coming off because the wound was so much worse underneath. So I gave up and started airing it out (which I was doing at night already). Finally on Thursday I woke up and realized I needed to act like an invalid. I spent as much of the day as possible sitting down, and anytime I was home I kept the ice pack close by and rested my right foot on it. By last night, the dang thing finally started to close up! Today I'm trying to remember to keep it iced and rest it as much as possible, while trying to prepare for seven weekend house guests. (Bit of a conflict, there.) But the improvement over 36 hours ago is extreme. I might even be able to wear shoes by Sunday or so.

I haven't been able to exercise since Monday (obviously), and even though I hate going to the gym I'm hating the inactivity more. I didn't have room for a gym appointment any day after Tuesday anyway, but if I did I'd at least go and do upper body weight training and VKRs and such just to get my heart rate up. I can't go for a walk or a run or a bike (I tried that on Wednesday, just a mile, and my foot hurt like hell, especially on the uphills) or even a swim (because bad things happen every time my foot gets wet) or anything else that doesn't require equipment. Meanwhile, I've been eating only 1200 calories a day (except for Sunday, of course) and seeing my weight go UP (which is annoying), so yesterday I got tired of being good and ate a whole bunch of chips (that's what we had on hand) without counting them or anything, and today my weight dropped 3 pounds to the lowest point I've seen since mid-April. ARGH! Why don't the results of dieting make more SENSE?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The Washington Post just ran a short article about blisters yesterday or the day before and said to do pretty much what you've decided to do--take it easy for a few days to avoid making them worse. They also pointed out that while blisters are pretty much just an annoyance, if you continue to exercise while you have them you're at risk of greater injury since you'll be altering your gait to avoid landing on the blisters. So keep doing what you're doing--take it easy, keep your feet aired and the blisters iced. Let someone else get the house ready for houseguests!