Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Can I bank calories for Thanksgiving?

I just ate dinner and now I'm at 997 calories for the day, although it's 610 net calories after you deduct what I burned at the gym. So that means, according to the Daily Plate, that I can eat another 600+ calories today and still be on track for losing 1.5 pounds this week. And if I do that again tomorrow, I'll have 1200 calories "saved" for Thanksgiving, so in theory I could eat 2400 calories that day and STILL lose weight. And if I didn't care about losing weight this week, I could eat something like 3000 calories that day and maintain. But I don't think it works that way, at least not for me. We'll see, because I can't see eating less than 2400 calories on Thanksgiving! In fact, I think that's the equivalent of a serving of mashed potatoes and a piece of pie.



(Claire wanted me to add this smiley!)

1 comment:

Emily said...

Sorry; I don't think it works that way! Supposedly if you try to bank calories your metabolism slows down to use the fewer calories, which could in theory make things WORSE on Thanksgiving! I've been using absolute calories instead of worrying about "net calories" and if you go by my net calories I should be using weight at an alarming rate. Realistically I'm just barely losing at the rate they say, even when I fall short of my goal or theirs. Oh, well!