Saturday, May 31, 2008

I'm a chippie hick!

Day one of my Small-Town Summer didn't go very well.  Daniel needed to get to the new St. Mary's building in the evening for a training session after happy hour downtown, but he had taken his bike to work.  So I had to drive downtown and ride his bike home.  Then I was going to ride bikes with the kids to get to the steel drum concert downtown, except I forgot one little snag -- I needed to get the babysitter home, and she lives about three miles away and over the crest of the steepest hill in town.  I couldn't exactly put her on a bike and send her home, so I had to drive her.  That's going to be an issue every week that I go to happy hour.  It also turned out that the concert started a half hour earlier than I thought it did, making us already late, so if we went back home and rode from there -- keeping in mind that Alexander can manage about half my pace at best -- we would have missed the fifty minutes of the concert instead of the first twenty.  And the concert was only two blocks out of our way home, so we drove there, too.  Sigh.

Today went better.  The kids and I rode bikes to Alexander's baseball game and later Alexander and I walked to Kroger, pushing Cecilia in the stroller (which makes a pretty good shopping cart).  I felt like such a granola type (hence the title, Cecilia's bungling of "hippie chick") -- I was walking to the grocery store, I was wearing a tie-dye T-shirt, I put my groceries in tote bags (I actually remembered them!  And not just the one Kroger freezer bag -- a whole bunch of cloth totes!), and I bought Agave syrup.  Daniel drove Mary to her baseball game (unavoidable) and we drove to church (pre-declared).  We went to a restaurant for dinner but it was in town and on the way home.  So there it is.  Tomorrow I have nowhere I have to be except church (cantoring again) in the morning.  So I should be able to avoid using the car after 10 am tomorrow for a few days.

Incidentally, I like Sarah's idea of a mileage quota.  I'm just going to have to figure out how much that should be!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I planned to be a hippie chick yesterday too. Katie and I planned on going to the Reisterstown Bloomin' Arts Festival yesterday. Since it was just on Reisterstown Road we planned to walk to it. Well - it ended up POURING down rain off and on yesterday. We figured the festival would be off. We decided to drive to it to see if it was still happening. It was - so we drove about 1/2 way home, parked and walked back. It was a good thing we did it this way after all because Katie ended up buying a flat of flowers for Charles and we got strawberries and corn on the cob for us. We would have had no problem taking the corn and strawberries home by hand - but the flowers were way too heavy. THEN we were going to walk to chuch for 4pm mass - but, yup - raining. Sigh.