Friday, May 23, 2008

5K in under 30 minutes

I've been working a bit on my speed and endurance with interval training and today for the first time I managed to complete the 5K routine on the treadmill in under 30 minutes (o.k., only 18 seconds under 30 minutes, but it's a start!). I don't know why I care since I'm not "in training." I think it's just that if I have these goals it makes going to the gym a bit more interesting and less of a painful chore. All I have to do is shave off another, oh, 12 minutes and I could be competitive! Yeah, right.

2 comments:

Emily said...

That's great! Was that on a treadmill with hills and everything, or just flat? I have a hard time doing a fast 5k on a treadmill -- it's much worse than doing one in real life, which has downhills once in a while.

Sarah said...

It was on the treadmill with hills, but set at level two so the hills never got above about 2%. I agree that not having the benefit of actual downhills makes it more of a slog, but then, the uphills are easier than uphills on the road. Plus I can hang on to the front of the treadmill when I start to flag!