Friday, May 09, 2008

Ah, the reality of it all

So I've been feeling a bit fat, bloated or some variation thereof lately. God knows, I should be feeling that way because I haven't been dedicated to a routine. I just recently realized that as much as I loved the routine it was, well, too routine. I've been searching out some different things to eat -- notably a bit more healthy calcium -- and some alternatives to oatmeal -- good cereals. Sometimes you just need a change of pace. 
But I've decided after this weekend -- I'm going to Williamsburg to hang with friends -- that I'm going to get back into a serious routine starting Monday. I really do want to get a pedometer and count my steps when I'm on the Hill. I run all over the Capitol -- which is cool BTW -- and I must be doing 20,000 steps a day (Tues-Thurs). I've tried to stop taking elevators, too, so I'm just running the steps. 

So, anyway, I've been feeling fat and isn't it sometimes funny how you can be snapped out of a rut. I went to see a play last night at the Shakespeare Theater (Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis -- very good) and when I was walking into the theater I saw a woman from behind in a dress that revealed all of her shoulders down to the middle of her back. She was deathly skinny. Scary, skeletal, sick, unhealthy skinny. I immediately thought "I'm so glad I'm me." Sure I've gots a few extra of those things we call pounds but that's OK. The clouds parted, I saw the light. 

Still that hasn't changed my mind about getting back onto a stricter exercise routine beginning next week. I am taking my bike to Williamsburg but am not predicting a huge amount of real exercise but it's the right step. 

No comments: