Saturday, May 24, 2008

Counting calories

I'm up to day 6 of calorie counting today.  Fortunately I'm not sick of it yet!  My weight dropped a tiny bit after Tuesday and has more or less stayed there since then, so I'm still over 140, but that's what I expected.  The frustrating thing about watching one's weight is that it can fly up five pounds in a week, even when you think you're being not too bad, and then it takes an eternity to creep back down.  But except for yesterday (happy hour -- beer and fries, very bad, and they sent my whole digestive system out of whack) I haven't had too much difficulty sticking to the 1200-1400 calorie range.  Today will be tougher, because it's Saturday and we have fewer things keeping us busy.  That's why I'm here posting, I guess!

My exercise has been wimpy.  I mowed the lawn on Monday, rode my bike to campus and back (a measly four miles) on Tuesday, and walked downtown (not quite two miles) yesterday.  I know it's good to be working activity into my normal routines, but I also know that if I really want to see results I need to have more vigorous activity than that.  It's tougher having company because I don't feel like I can just skip off to the gym at the drop of a hat.  Mom and Dad, on the other hand, have been great about exercise; they've already done two trips down the Huckleberry Trail, for a total of about eight miles of walking.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You're doing a LOT better than I am with the food. By dinnertime today I don't think I had ingested any food with actual nutrients. I had coffee for breakfast, ramen noodles for lunch, and Oreos and kool aid for an afternoon snack. We took the kids out for haircuts in the evening and ended up eating at McDonalds. It's pretty bad when McDonald's is the healthiest meal of the day--I had one of their grilled chicken salads. I briefly considered ordering only a shake and fries to see if I could go all day with lots of calories and no nutrition, but couldn't bring myself to do it.