Thursday, May 29, 2008

Inconsistent

Isn't it weird how some days I can't stuff myself enough, and other days I have to remind myself to eat?  Yesterday I wanted to eat all day.  Mostly junk.  Today I had a banana with my usual breakfast (so I started out healthy), ate almonds for a morning snack (also healthy), had a tiny but filling lunch (my kids' leavings -- Mary made a really awesome peanut butter, cinnamon, and apple sandwich on whole wheat, then cut a star shape out of the middle of it, leaving five odd-shaped pieces, and I ate four of those; Cecilia had peanut butter on graham crackers and fed me half a graham cracker sandwich, and then I was full), pretty much forgot to snack all afternoon (I walked to the library mid-afternoon, and had to double back on the way home because Cecilia left her blankie-too there, and I came home thirsty but definitely not hungry), ate only one piece of pizza for dinner (Papa John's has a new whole wheat crust, good but not as good as the white, but 6g of fiber per slice! and oddly more filling) and was content with a very small ice cream cone for dessert (and probably wouldn't have thought of dessert if I hadn't been fixing it for the kids).  So unless I'm completely forgetting having eaten some enormous feast in the middle of the day, I'm totally stuffed and still 100 calories short of my goal.

I guess what I should be taking away from this is:
  1. More food at breakfast leaves me more satisfied throughout the day;
  2. Fiber really is more filling;
  3. Exercise staves off boredom eating and seems to reset my appetite.
Naturally, this is what all the diet books say.  But it's hard to eat high-fiber foods when there are Oreo cookies and goldfish crackers all over the place!

No comments: