Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Not entirely gone

OK OK! I will do a post. I have been trying to cut back. Seriously, I have been focusing more on being LESS obsessed with this weight issue. I do read the blog still - and post comments as Sarah said - but I am beginning to think that Rebecca is right - that this forum for me ISN'T entirely healthy. Clearly my issues are not the same as the rest of you. What Emily posts as exessive calories (1800) are below by BMR - but my brain is still pre-occupied with the obession of our society that less is better - and so I immediately feel inferior because the 1800 calories I DIDN'T manage to eat yesterday was excessive and no wonder I am fat and disgusting! See - It isn't healthy.

I agree with Vicki however, more and more I am noticing unhealthily THIN people. Clearly there are still obese people that I worry about (especially the ones that are under 20) - but, I think our society is mistaken to only see fat people as unhealthy. We live in a world SURROUNDED by mixed messages! I mean - everyone is obsessed with being smaller and thinner - but meals at restaurants are unnaturally large! Food that is readily available is loaded with fat (or the LOW fat stuff - loaded with sugar). Then we are taught that fat and sugar are bad - but not really told why. We just blindly follow the "bad" mindset - and feel BAD everytime we eat something we enjoy.

Sorry - I am ranting. I don't mean to be. Maybe I will stand in tree pose by my desk for a few minutes and breathe. Hee hee. I really do like the yoga thing. I really DO wish I was more bendy - but I totally love the breathing thing.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Speaking of unhealthily thin people, have you taken a good look at Connor lately? He's always been thin, but I'm beginning to worry about him. You can see all of his ribs front and back, and when he stretches his arms up, he looks like a skeleton. And his limited diet has gotten even more limited--he won't eat soynut butter and jelly sandwiches anymore, or grilled cheese, or yogurt. He's due for a physical right about now so I'll bring it up then. He's just starting to look like he used to look in his "failure to thrive" days.

Amy said...

Oh! No - I hadn't noticed Connor being abnormally thin. Has he gotten suddenly taller? I mostly notice his color in his face when he isn't feeling well - and I didn't notice that to be particularly bad on Sunday. It probably IS lack of certain nutrients. When you give him his medicines do you also give him a multi vitamin? Whatever you do DON'T let them give him a feeding tube - those things are BAD NEWS in my experience. (That was a joke.) So, what does he eat? Does he still eat chicken nuggets? Can you "sneak" protein into foods he does eat or would that turn him off them for good? Poor baby!!!

Sarah said...

He's grown a few inches in the past year but weighs exactly the same. His energy level is fine (and that might be the problem--with more time playing outdoors in the spring, he might just be burning off more than usual), and he LOVES his multivitamins ("snack? snack?" They are gummy vitamins and he likes them more than gummy fruit snacks) so I'm not too worried about him being malnourished, except lack of calcium. We've tried a liquid calcium supplement in his juice but he won't drink it when it's there. He still eats chicken nuggets and fish sticks and cheese and crackers. We should start deep frying the chicken and fish to get more fat into him. We looked into the feeding disorders clinic through Kennedy Krieger but he eats enough variety of types of foods and textures that he doesn't qualify. They really are more about getting kids OFF of feeding tubes and not starving to death.

I wonder if I could do a fat transplant from my belly to his? It's his fault that it's there at all, so he can have it!

Amy said...

Well - that doesn't sound too bad. He still has SOME variety - and probably almost as much as other seven year old boys. It probably is his increased activity level, as you say. He certainly seemed happy on Sunday. Are you sure HE is eating his food and not Davey? Maybe you can inject the calcium into the chicken nuggets? What about Milkshakes? Ice cream? Pudding? I think you said you did pudding once and he wouldn't eat it - but what about the other two. They have calcium AND fat! Take him for a daily milkshake at Coldstone! That would increase his calories nicely. Peanut butter and milkshakes are what they feed to anorexics.