Tuesday, May 20, 2008

See? I knew this would happen!

Didn't I say that one of my problems was that when I got within shooting range of my goal weight, I'd sabotage myself by eating too much, figuring it wouldn't take that much to lose the weight? That's exactly what happened this past week--I had lost all that weight from being sick, so I made up for it by eating out three times, snacking in the evenings too much, and just generally not keeping track of what I was taking in. So it's no surprise that this morning I was back to 138.6.

At one point this week I was flipping through a magazine and came across an article about diet secrets. I expected the usual stuff about substituting foods (which I just don't understand--when I want chocolate chip cookies, I want chocolate chip cookies and eating anything else will just make me eat more and not make the cookie craving go away!) and exercising three times a day ten minutes at a time. Instead it was an article about the National Weight Control Registry--a registry of people who have lost 30 pounds or more and have kept it off for more than a year. The article talked about what people on that registry report as what made them successful and what keeps them successful. Turns out most of them are doing what I'm doing--tracking all of their food, weighing themselves regularly, exercising (more than I do--most get 60 to 90 minutes of moderate to intense exercise daily). I don't know if this is good news or not. It's nice to know I'm on the right track, but kind of depressing when I think about keeping a food diary and exercising daily for the rest of my life. I mean, I know I need to do this but I just don't like to think of myself at 85 years old logging on here to report that I ate the same damn thing for lunch that I did every single day for the past 48 years.

No comments: