Thursday, May 01, 2008

Go Calcium Go!

The other evening I happened by a program on Discovery Health about a study on whether a high calcium diet actually helps you excrete more fat. The scientists, two women in Denmark or some such Scandinavian country, had to collect people's poo over a period of time then do all kinds of funky things to it. They tested the differences in high-calcium (low-fat calcium) vs. lower calcium diets. Their conclusion -- if you pump your body full of low-fat calcium it will latch itself onto fat cells and drag them (kicking and screaming) out of your body. Those who ate the high calcium diets excreted 2x more fat than those on the same diet of calories but minus the calcium. One guy ate about a quart of yogurt a day.  My main calcium is yogurt and now I figure I may eat two a day. 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You just have to admire the dedication of scientists who are willing to test people's poop in order to tell me to drink more milk! I'm glad I don't have their job.

Vicki said...

What's even funnier is they admitted to it being a pretty "stinky" job even after they'd freeze dried the poo and ground it all up. They wore tons of protective clothing but the masks didn't mask the smell. Milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. are all good.