Sunday, February 17, 2008

Redirection

Thanks Vicki! Yeah - I know fundamentally this is a whole package deal. I can't see an improvement without both eating right AND exercising. My problem all along is that I don't see any change regardless of what I do. Granted - I haven't stuck with a good exercise program for more than 3 months - but it is INCREDIBLY hard to stay motivated when I am not seeing any results. My current focus has been getting my calorie level UP (as hard to believe as that is - but I was SO focused for the past 12 years on reducing calories - because that is what you are supposed to do, right?). My body is probably a little bit confused right now. HOWEVER, I think I can safely say that I have consistently been eating 2000-ish calories a day for about three weeks to a month now. I need to re-direct my energies. Personally I think exercise is more valuable for me right now - because even when I say I have been eating poorly - it is still better than the average! I don't have a lot to get out of my diet. I don't drink sodas, eat fried or high fats foods. My fats tend to be in olive oil and butter (in small quantities) and nuts, which all fall into the current positive school of nutritious thoughts. My coffees are sugarless with skim milk (I like the splurge coffees - but they are also skim, no whip). I eat mostly fish or lean meats. I have protein for breakfast, and I eat mostly whole grains. My problems are fruits and vegetables. I need to make a strive for five daily check off card... Although, I suspect I do better than I think with that. I have at least one whole fruit a day - although, I try for two - and I tend to forget most of my meals DO have vegetables included in them.

I like the idea of walking 20 minutes after lunch and dinner. I have to start that - at least for post lunch. There are days when I don't leave the office or my desk area AT ALL from 7:30am to 7:30pm!! I want to start up yoga again in my evenings - or going to the gym! I have to do something EVERY day. I wish it were easier to form habits then it is to break them - but if that were the case we would all be OCD. Sigh.

No comments: