Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Greetings

Hello All, 
I wanted to thank Sarah and Emily for giving me privileges to post here. 

Sarah recently said I must be crazy to read this blog -- and she may have a point -- but I got hooked on the patchwork of stories -- sisters trying to squeeze in 25 pushups or a run, in between chasing kids, making lunches and walking various pets. Or fighting the battle of the beckoning 400 pounds of Halloween/Christmas/Easter candy/goodies. A tough one.
I'm single so it amazes me how you all do it when I struggle to find the time. 

My quick-hit dieting background -- a little over a year ago I changed my diet from top to bottom and then this year I revamped and got tougher on myself. It's working better this time around. It's lowfat, high in lean protein, medium in carbs with no added sugar (a tough one). But I've pretty much eliminated high fructose corn syrup and other various bad sugars/sweeteners along with aspartame (which is in my precious diet coke - I gave up that, too).  

I'm doing my best to exercise daily -- cardio, weights, stretching and core workouts spread throughout the week. I've designed it so I can do almost everything at home in the winter unless I want to the treadmill or elliptical. I prefer hiking and biking outdoors when the weather is nice. 

I bought a good book that walks me through routines and keeps me disciplined and on a schedule. That helps. 

I don't own a scale and am not considering purchasing one -- I think I'm allergic -- but I can tell by how my clothes fit if I'm trimming. I keep an old pair of jeans around (a smaller pair) and use those as a way to measure my progress. Finally they are getting too big. Yay! 

So I'll see you all around the blog ...  



4 comments:

Emily said...

Welcome aboard, Vicki! You must be crazy to join us, but we're always glad to have a fellow lunatic around!

Mary said...

Delighted you've joined us, Vicki! I wish I had a little of your self-discipline. Maybe I can catch some now that you're here?

Amy said...

Hey there!! What book is it that keeps you diciplined and pushes you through routines. I need it!!

Vicki said...

Hi Amy,
The book is called: Ultrafit: Challenging Workouts Amazing Results by Cindy Whitmarsh. It's about $11 on Amazon.
She also has another book: 101 Ways to Work out with weights (all for barbells).
The other book gives you exercise routines by the day for six weeks. There are three six-week plans that get progressively harder. BUT all you need are dumbbells, a stability ball and access to a treadmill and stationary bike. I do a lot of my workouts at home now, which I like.
The book does assume you're in decent shape BUT you could start with the first week and repeat for a couple weeks or more if you need to. When I first looked at the workouts I wondered if they would be enough. But I can tell you they've really helped and have helped me trim some of those hard-to-trim areas. And each week as the workouts have gotten harder I'm able to do more.
The bonus -- you get a day off each week.
You might be able to find the book in a local bookstore and check it out.
Cool thing is you can do what you can and just try to keep progressing.
The workouts also gradually have you increase your water intake. I really pay attention to it and it makes a difference in a many ways.
If you want, I can send you my food routine, too. I do my best to stick to that, especially early in game because you'll see quick results.
But I'm still learning and still trying to lose a little bit at a time.