Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ouch.

By yesterday evening I was hurting all over from my morning workout. Not, as it turns out, from the actual work, but from doing in on a thin mat on a hard floor! In our new room, I don't have the nice carpeted area to exercise on and that little yoga mat just isn't cutting it. I'm old. This is the sort of thing that wouldn't have bothered me ten or fifteen years ago.

Then to drive home the point of how old I am, I started listening to the mosquito ring tones that high school and college students are using so they can get phone calls and text messages without their teachers noticing. The ringtones are set at a frequency that people over certain ages are just not likely to hear. So Brian and I were listening to the tones at http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/ and yeah, I could only hear the "39 and younger" tone clearly (and the 30 and younger a tiny bit, although much more clearly on my computer at work, probably because there was no dog going nuts in the vicinity).

4 comments:

Amy said...

gack! I hate those ring tones! I can hear as low as the 17.4. (24 year old) I can hear the click to start and stop them as far back as the 18 year old level. I don't know if that means anything. My ears, however, are now aching. those are HORRIBLE noises. Why would ANYONE want them for ring tones? I don't care if the teachers CAN'T hear them - I wouldn't have wanted to hear them as a teenager - and if anyone in my class had it I would have had to say something. IRRITATING!

Sarah said...

Funny thing is, they originated as a device that store owners could install to drive teens AWAY from loitering in front of their stores. And then once teens realized what they were, they adapted them to suit their own needs. Irritating, but smart!

I can hear all the clicks of starting and stopping too, but I think that's a computer noise and not a tone noise.

Emily said...

Ow! I was able to hear the 18 one, once, but most of the time I can just barely hear the 17. I heard the 18 one after I'd been playing the others for the kids -- Alexander can hear all of them clearly, but Mary can't quite hear the 22 kHz one. For some reason, listening to (but not hearing) the highest ones made it easier for me to get the 18. But when I started from the other end I could only *just* hear the 17. (I just played the 17, which I hear best with the volume all the way up and my ear by the speaker, and Alexander, in the next room and playing the piano, called out, "I can hear THAT!" as though it were painfully loud. Sigh.

Mary said...

I don't think I'll even try! I have begun to suspect that my hearing, which was always excellent, is on the downslide!