Friday, July 01, 2011

Weight spike AGAIN!

I was discouraged this Tuesday because I had another weight spike - 6 pounds this time. It was the first day of my period, and it was a bad one - so that may have had an impact. OTOH - I had an acupuncture appointment last night and as we were going to the treatment room Shea told me that it looked like I was losing weight. Then this morning at the gas station there was a guy (cute, and young but TOTALLY not my type) flirting with me. He gave me his business card as he was leaving. VERY good for a fat old lady's ego.

AND - since I had been complimented twice in the last 24 hours, I have decided that my pants feel bigger today. They aren't really - but it is all good.

And - now for something completely different....

I think the other bridesmaids on this board (and the bride) need to change their attitudes. They - instead of trying to lose 10 pounds - should all committ to GAINING 20 pounds each. As it is I am easily going to be twice as big as anyone else in the wedding party - including the groom. So, to prevent me from looking completely like a GIANT TROLL!! they should defer to my sentitivites and GAIN some fricking weight!!!!

Regarding the comments about yoga - the goal of yoga is to do the poses correctly, not be super bendy. If I can do yoga, and fairly well I might add, then anyone else here can. There is not a single thing difficult about a sun salutation!!! I do them in my kitchen waiting for the coffee maker to heat up. The REAL KEY to doing yoga is to pay attention to what YOUR body is doing, rather than the body of someone else. It is more important that your hips are lined up correctly than your hand being flat on the floor. Understand the goal of the poses before doing them. If you don't KNOW the goal of the pose, ask someone who does. A lot of people do a lot of damage by doing sloppy yoga!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Did you watch the video we were talking about? We weren't commenting on the goal of yoga, but rather on THAT WOMAN in particular, who must have had the longest waist in the world.

Emily said...

Here's a link:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/arms/exercises/how-to-get-michelle-obamas-arms-the-workout-plan/?page=2

I agree with Sarah. I have no objection to yoga -- in my one foray I thought it was fun, though difficult and somewhat painful the next day. But the above video was a VERY bendy person and not someone I could easily emulate. Instructional videos should include some less-than-perfect-shape people! (Walk Away the Pounds DOES do that, which I like.) The workout recommended doing six sun salutations as a warm-up -- for me that would right now be a workout in and of itself because the set of moves is unfamiliar and I'm not at all stretchy currently, which is why I thought it should be a separate goal entirely.

Emily said...

Oh! And there will be people of all different shapes in the wedding -- I'm not so much worried about my weight as the shape of my arms. I can't stand seeing people in sleeveless dresses with baggy arms. (Even worse are people in strapless dresses with baggy arms AND bad posture -- which is almost everyone in real life weddings and even some of the models. Who decided strapless was EVER a good idea for bridal parties?) So I think we ALL need to do an arm toning plan for the next five months, but I can't change anybody else, just me. So I'm planning on toning MY arms, and I hope you'll join me! You can have good shoulders and arms regardless of weight!

Sarah said...

Speaking of yoga--there's a spot under my window at work that used to be a smoking area. Nice little courtyard, trees, plants, brick surface and a wall to sit on. I used to see a woman there regularly taking her smoke break each day. Nicely dressed, professional, just relaxing for a while. As of May 31 they've banned smoking entirely on campus. Now there's a woman who comes there every day and does yoga. Not the same woman.