Thursday, July 28, 2011

Commuting

I rode my bike to work today for the first time in ages. I really can't remember when I last did this. I suppose I must have at some point last year, but I know it has been at least a year and maybe more.

I remember the ride being shorter. For some reason I had it in my head that it was a 12 - 12.5 mile ride, but it's closer to 14 (13.93 to be precise). I'm thinking I might just add an extra 8 miles on to the commute home to make my total mileage for the day what I plan to ride Saturday for my long ride. That way I could just do a short ride on Saturday. Would that be cheating? To split my "long" ride for the week into two parts? Is it less cheating when I do the ride carrying two kind of heavy bags? I didn't realize how much those added to the overall weight until I strapped them on today for the first time in forever. I'm particularly peeved that I brought my u-lock, which probably weighs 18 pounds (or feels like it!) and then wasn't able to use it because they replaced the good bike rack at work with a crappy one that the u-lock doesn't fit around. I can leave that here, though, and not drag it home with me.

No comments: