Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Final weight

Yesterday (last day of Game On) I was 139.8--exactly 8 pounds down from when I started four weeks before. Of course my starting weight was high (lots of bacon and ham the day before) and today's weight (after one day off where I went a little nuts with food) is back up, so the actual starting weight was probably more like 146 and today's weight is 141, so still a respectable five pounds lost in four weeks. And more important, it really did kick start my fitness--I needed that motivation to get moving again. When I started, finishing a 15 mile bike ride was real work; this weekend I did a 32 mile ride averaging 13.6 m.p.h. While I probably won't stick with the eating plan entirely (too restrictive IMO, and too much protein I think), for the most part it's how I eat anyway, so I won't make that many changes. I plan to continue with the fitness plan--6 days a week (although if I do only 5 I won't beat myself up), with at least two days of 15+ miles on the bike during the week and increasingly longer rides on the weekends. Once the weather cools off a bit I'm going to try a week of commuting to work only by bike. In the past I don't think I've done more than twice a week.

I've got 12 weeks until the Wild Goose Chase, and I'm halfway to the mileage I'll need to do. As long as I keep increasing my mileage each week at the rate I've been doing (adding about four miles to the long ride each weekend) I should have no problem doing that. Heck, I could probably do it now. At 32 miles I was still feeling pretty good; if I had stopped for a break and some food I could have kept going for a while. I'll probably top off my training mileage at 50 miles, just because of the time it takes out of weekends (and once September hits, getting time on weekends will be more difficult). That should happen around Labor Day, at which point I just need to maintain my fitness level to be ready for the ride.

No comments: