Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Making progress

I started a post yesterday and got through half a sentence before I got interrupted. It was that kind of a day! I had a busy weekend, too, so exercise was somewhat spotty. On Saturday I decided to try a kickboxing video on SparkPeople, but their "10 minute cardio" turned out to be about six minutes, with a lot of talk and far more cooldown than 6 minutes deserves. I did another one and that was all of seven minutes. So then I went out and jogged half a mile, but it was mid-day and horribly hot, not to mention boring, so I gave up on that, too. I never did get a full cardio workout in that day. And I missed my weekend ab workout because of other interruptions.

Sunday was not much better -- I went for a bike ride with Mary. It was 12 miles and completely wore her out, but the pace was so slow that I didn't get my heart rate up very much. But it was fun anyway.

Yesterday I dithered about what to do -- I'd just gone riding the day before, and nothing else appealed to me -- and after dressing to go running but realizing it was over 80 at only 10 am, I decided, to heck with it, and changed into riding clothes and went out on my bike. I did 14 miles in almost exactly an hour and definitely got a good workout! Later in the day I did do my arm work, which is always pretty satisfying.

I went to a cookout on Saturday (and did NOT overeat) and a friend of mine pointed out my arm definition. I didn't think you could se anything yet, but she didn't know I'd been working my arms, so maybe you could. Either way, it made me feel pleased. Positive feedback is always good for motivation!

Speaking of positive feedback, my weight was at 140.0 today for the second morning in a row. That's my official weigh-in, too, so I'm seeing scale results, not just arm results! And I'm feeling better overall, and I don't think I look quite as doughy. At least, I don't feel so flabby, though it could just be psychological. Not that I care!

We're off to Spain on Thursday (well, Alabama for a day, THEN Spain), so I will undo much of the good I've done over the following 10 days, no doubt, but I keep reminding myself that it would be that much WORSE if I hadn't spent the first half of the month working so hard! I'm thinking of bringing a resistance band so I can still do arms there -- they pack so easily.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You just go ahead to Spain and have a wonderful time eating all the yummy food and not working out, so by the time you get back we will have reversed places so that FINALLY I can weigh less than you. ;-)

Emily said...

You weighed a LOT less than I did when I came back from Norway! I think it's funny how we tend to parallel each other, almost to the pound. And you have to remember that my scale is notoriously inaccurate and only precise to the half pound, so there's a good chance you DO weigh less than I do right now. :-)

Sarah said...

My trip to Ireland and Norway was what moved me from hovering-around-the-low-140's to hovering-around-the-upper-140's. I went from 142ish to 146ish and those few pounds have stayed stubbornly attached to me for two years!

Remember the important Spanish phrase: "dos cervezas por favor."

Emily said...

I had to look that up -- (well, just "cervezas" -- my Spanish isn't THAT terrible), but now I know, and I will certainly remember! Mary still knows the word for "Chocolate" in Finnish (and every other language she has tried) -- at least she retains the important words!