Friday, April 16, 2010

Talking to myself again

Apparently I'm all alone on this blog again! What is everyone else up to?

Even with my SI joint still hurting, I went back to the pool today and had a much easier time of it. I took yesterday off, for the most part, except for 30 minutes or so of my back exercises. I was still hurting today, but decided to try swimming anyway. This time I did no drills--I think being on my back and kicking made things worse. I just did straight laps, and didn't much use my lower body at all except to keep my legs from sinking. And surprisingly, this worked pretty well! I did 30 laps, pausing after the first seven laps, then at the 17 lap mark, then at 25 laps. I never felt exhausted or out of breath--not using the large muscles in my legs means I'm using less oxygen anyway. And while it was taking more strokes per length to get across the pool, overall it wasn't significantly slower (which says something about what a slow swimmer I am!).

I hit the 22 lap mark at just under 30 minutes. I'd have to go back and look (not that it's recorded anywhere) but I think that's more or less where I was last year at this point! In spite of my care, though, my SI joint is killing me again now. It didn't hurt much at all in the water, but I suspect it was too much movement for my pelvis and I'm paying for it now.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm here! I've been checking in every day but I haven't had much to say. Good for you for going swimming!