Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Magic mile" run

Today I had a short run instead of the usual weekend long one, which was good, because it's a packed day. I was supposed to run an easy mile to warm up and then run a hard, faster mile and time it. So I did my usual run 4/walk 1 pace for the first mile, and then I ran for the full second mile, which turned out to be not difficult to do at all -- I actually felt pretty good running without stopping, except that it's a little boring. My time on the mile was 8:35 but I realized after I got home and re-read the magic mile information page that I wasn't running as hard as I should have; you're supposed to finish so tired that you couldn't have kept the pace going for even another hundred yards. I definitely had at least that much in me.

I don't usually have any kind of a consistent pace to my running, so for the first couple of weeks of this, being told "easy run" and "hard, fast run" was a bit of a joke. But I'm getting regular enough in my running that I'm finding it hard to slow down when it tells me to go below my race pace, and I don't know how to push it to the limit, either. I knew I was going faster than usual, and for the first quarter mile it felt tough. But once I got moving I really could have gone harder.

The other difficulty I ran into was the course. I didn't want to drive over to the high school to use the track (which is probably occupied on a Saturday afternoon anyway) and there was NO way I was going to do this on the elevated track at the gym, which is boring as all get-out. But I'm supposed to find a flat stretch. So I ran the flattest portion of the Huckleberry Trail, but it's only truly flat for (it turns out) 0.85 miles, so I had to do an abrupt about-face late in the run and the GPS was slow to record it -- so I might actually have run a bit more than a mile. It would definitely screw up the results if I kept running on the trail; the next 100 yards or so is very abruptly, steeply uphill. (When I got home, the mapmyrun data said that there'd been a 40 foot descent and climb on the portion I did run, and I couldn't figure that out at all, because surely I'd have noticed that much of a hill? I finally realized that their data shows the natural contours of the land, which is what the roads follow; the trail is built up above the land for the first mile, with a bridge high over the road!)

The good news is that I now have a baseline "magic mile" for the Jeff Galloway site. At this pace for the magic mile, I'm predicted to finish a marathon in 4:52, which assumes a race pace of 11:10 per mile. That's right on target for the five hours I estimated for the registration.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's a great time for a mile! I don't think I've ever run a mile faster than 9:45 in my life, although I've never tried to go all out as much as possible for a full mile either.

And just think--all you have to do is run twice as fast and you could win the whole marathon! The fastest woman in Boston today finished in 2 hours and 19 minutes, I think. I can't imagine that. I just can't imagine being able to run that fast for even one mile, but to keep up a pace like that for over 26 miles? That's impressive.

Emily said...

Isn't that amazing? I go to a 5k and am happy to finish in half an hour. The winners cruise across the finish line in around 15 minutes and look bored doing it. And that's in nowhereland Blacksburg, not the Olympics. I will never run a 5 minute mile in my life. I don't think I could run at that pace over the 100-yard dash!