Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'd like to go for a walk at lunch...

BUT I hate the idea of getting wet when today is one of my long ones where I leave work and head straight to class until 7 pm. It isn't raining here yet, but it sure looks like it is going to dump at any moment.

I did go for a walk last night. I took the Harry Dog, which is never really a good idea when you want to walk for exercise. He likes to stop and sniff EVERYTHING, and then I end up dragging him along for the entire walk and not going as far as I had planned. If the weather holds up I plan to go again tonight once I get home from class, and I'll probably take him along again. Maybe he'll eventually understand that he is along for MY walk, and not the reverse.

I also found one of the 300 pedometers I have acquired through initiatives at various peoples' workplaces over the years. This one actually still works, so last night I put it on in the evening and cleared 2000 steps from 6:30 pm until bedtime. I have it on today, but I have been at my desk all morning so the count is a lame 733 so far. I like the display on this one, but it is a pain because the clip isn't very strong and I am constantly chasing it when it hits the floor; it is round and rolls all over the place. Which, BTW, is a blast when it falls in the bathroom and rolls into a currently occupied stall. I think it came from a Get Fit Maryland thing Constellation did a few years ago.

Foodwise we had yoplait smoothies for breakfast again. I made Let's Dish Cashew Chicken for lunch today, and dinner for tonight is still TBD. I'm torn between going to the grocery store for "new" food and just eating down what we have in the house. I know eating stuff down will make for very random, uncoordinated meals, but we have some things we bought in bulk at one point that just aren't getting eaten. I wish I knew what to do with croutons...at some point Peter bought what seems to be a 75 lb bag and we've eaten like a handful out of it. Maybe I will wrap them up as Christmas gifts with the onion soup mix he bought at the same time. LOL

2 comments:

Emily said...

I tried to look up ideas for croutons but instead found many recipes for making MORE croutons, which would kind of defeat the purpose. Obviously you can use them in salads and soups (onion or tomato, for example). You can also turn them into stuffing if you need stuffing, though this isn't particularly healthy (of course, croutons aren't all that healthy to begin with, unless they're whole wheat, only lightly oiled, and eaten in moderation, which is too bad because they're really yummy). You can also smash them to smithereens and use them for bread crumbs in dishes that require breading.

My last pedometer liked to fall off in public restrooms, too. This can be very disastrous. The battery finally died on that one (in Norway, too, so I couldn't even get an easy replacement) but I love the one I have now -- it has a good clip, it doesn't get faked out if you pick it up and shake it, and it has a 7-day memory and resets itself at midnight so you don't realize halfway through the day that you have an impossibly large count and have no idea how many steps you had the day before and therefore no clue how many this day.

Assume the rain is going to stay away and go out for a walk anyway -- just keep it close to the building (go round in circles!) so you can quit at a moment's notice. I loved the summer I worked at BG&E because I was on the 5th floor but had to go up to the exec floors on 18 or 20 sometimes, and I could get in a lot of exercise taking the stairs. (And kill some time, because life as a secretary wasn't exactly full.) As far as I could tell I was the ONLY person using the stairs, though! Mighty quiet.

Amy said...

I was wanting to walk today too, but in addition to the actual rain we were having, I wasn't dressed for the weather. My skirt is one of those gauzy summer ones, and I only had my lightest jacket with me.

I keep threatening to steel Davey. He also likes to stop and smell the flowers (and cat poop, and unidentified liquids, and whatever gross food has been left behind too!) but even a slow walk with him is better than the nothing I am currently doing. Also I did discover last summer that if I did start to jog he would start to run and that made ME have to run faster.