Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm supposed to be in training, aren't I?

I was re-reading my posts from this time last year and realizing how far behind I am from where I *should* be. Last year my bike speed was about a half mile per hour faster than I'm currently going, my running speed was 45 seconds less per mile than I'm doing now, and my swimming was WAY better--I could manage the whole distance of the race without stopping and was finishing the distance in about 27 or 28 minutes (which is what I managed on race day, although I'm told that the actual distance was longer than I had trained to do, so my race pace was slightly faster). And more to the point, last year I was taking the training seriously--I was swimming and biking twice a week and running two or three times a week.

So as of today I'm reminding myself that I really am still in training. I'll be back at the pool for real (my last two pool visits were accidental--the Girl Scouts were there, so I was there) at noon today with the intention of swimming the full 22 laps, even if I have to stop and rest after every single lap, which I'll probably have to do. I ran 3.5 miles yesterday and will repeat that tomorrow (I found a new route starting from work that is a lot more pleasant than what I've been doing--quieter streets, residential instead of commercial, and better sidewalks). And now that Brian is unemployed again, I can go back to bike commuting once or twice a week, which pretty much takes care of that part of training, although I need to start cycling the race course regularly in June or July since that route is slightly longer than my commute.

Today I was up to 148. I'm telling myself that this isn't bad--given all the Easter candy I've been eating, I'm surprised I didn't gain 5 pounds!

2 comments:

Mary said...

What's with Brian? I thought he was on a three-month job?

Sarah said...

They let everyone go after six weeks because there was no work to do. Turns out that when two tech companies merge, they don't need a lot of tech support people to help them set up their new computers and learn to use the email system. Who knew?