Saturday, February 20, 2010

Stuff and nonesense

Katie and I (mostly Katie since it involved her going through the stuff in her bedroom) worked today on cleaning up the mess in the two leaky bedrooms. The adjuster for my insurance company is coming on Monday and I am trying to make it look like we are the most pristine housekeepers in the world so he will see that all of the damage in those room is solely the result of the water in the walls. Maybe I can also get new carpet for the basement... hee hee.

At this point I am not counting on anything, though. The most obvious damage is the warped and cracked frames around the windows and doors, and the smelly carpet upstairs, and the bubbling paint in the living room. Sam told me that they have a tool that reads for water in the walls - however, it has stopped leaking and the snow from the roof was removed almost a week ago. The carpets are still obviously damp, but I don't know what is going on inside the walls. I am concerned that they will say "Oh. No big deal" and LEAVE me with soaked dry wall that will then disintegrate in the next rainstorm. Sigh. Katie found purple and green stains on her carpet where something got wet and then ran. The windowsill in the sewing/Claire's/yoga room is beyond belief!

So the only exercise I did today was carrying the spare bed from the room upstairs down into the storage room. Pathetic.

So, on a more positive thought path... What if I AM going to have to get new floor/walls upstairs? I think I want to do a bright deep celery green with a dark wood/pergo floor in the yoga room. I will probably do the same floor in Katie's room - but I don't know what color. Obviously Katie will have a say in that, but I am thinking a rich wedgewood blue - both rooms with bright white trim. What do you think? I love my living room still, so I will probably stick with the same colors there.

1 comment:

Julie S said...

Good luck with everything; I hope everything comes through with the insurance in your favor. I know of two other people dealing with similar problems at their homes; the ice dam finally fell at Amy Mantay's house and it sent the gutter through their concrete front porch. Their insurance said it would be WEEKS before someone could come out to see the damage. That seems insane to me.