Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hello!

I just had an e-mail from Emily suggesting I start checking the blog if I want to hear anything from my daughters, and over the weekend either Amy or Katie asked me if I'd been checking the blog. I haven't. I'd pretty much forgotten about it. But I have been wishing I could take off some of this blubber I have accumulated lately. Usually my holiday weight drops off pretty quickly, but not this year. I have to see my doctor for a blood pressure check on Friday, and I wish I could just get back to where I was the last time I saw him. Trouble is I can't remember what it was!

I am avoiding sweets and not eating between meals during Lent. I guess that's a diet, because I do check the scale regularly. My OLLI classes start Monday, and I will not pay a dollar for coffee and snacks, so that should help, too.

I lost a couple of pounds after Ash Wednesday, but the birthday part Sunday put them back on
again. Of course I am not exercising at all! Does knitting count?

4 comments:

Emily said...

I hardly said that this was the only way to hear anything from your daughters! I just thought you might want to be part of the now-reactivated group. :-) Not eating between meals has failed miserably for me because of headaches, but if you're better at it, then I don't think that's a bad approach! But you should get back to walking -- you need to keep your heart healthy for ALL our sakes.

Mary said...

I hesitate to do much walking because of my knees. Dr. Soodan told Dad to get an exercise bike, so maybe we will do that.

Amy said...

Maybe we have different knee issues, but I find exercise bikes to be MUCH harder on my knees because it forces deeper bends than walking does. OTOH walking puts more weight on your knees. I suggest yoga - that teaches you how to manage your body all over - including your knees.

Emily said...

When I first used it regularly 4 1/2 years ago, I found the exercise bike did a lot to strengthen my right quad, so it eased my knee problems. But these days it doesn't seem to have an impact either way. I suspect it depends a lot on the bike. I don't like using the bike too much, though, because it's not weight-bearing, so it doesn't help with bone strengthening as much as, for example, the elliptical. The elliptical also burns calories at a higher rate. If you do choose an exercise bike, make sure you do some light weight exercises afterwards -- make it part of the routine. I've never gotten my nerve up on yoga myself, but I DO recommend it -- it can help with the bones AND the knees, and if you do enough of it it can be good for weight loss as well.