Thursday, February 18, 2010

Setting new goals

It seems universally true that we need new goals and a new kick in the rear end to get back on track. I went back to the first posts on this site, and challenge number one, courtesy of Amy, was CHECK THIS BLOG EVERY DAY. We didn't have to post every day but we needed to read what was new anyway. So I'm re-issuing this challenge. Furthermore, if no one else has posted yet, you are required to post so that there IS something new every day. And even if someone else has posted, you're not off the hook; you should still make an effort to post regularly. Yes, you. You know who I'm talking to. (Myself, I suspect.)

It struck me on Monday of this week that while I just managed to squeeze into a nice winter-ish dress at Christmas, I'm going to be in a bad way come Easter, because all my decent dresses are in the smaller sizes that I used to fit 25 pounds ago -- down at the bottom of our skinniness, when we were all at our low point since September 2005. Or at least close to it. I could squeeze into them up to 10 pounds ago, but this winter most of my dress clothes were dug out of the give-away pile (good (?) thing I'm a procrastinator about getting to the Y store) and they look like it. So I have a personal goal of doing whatever it takes to be able to wear a decent spring dress. I don't have any of those in the give-away pile because I passed the non-hideous ones along already, so it's either lose inches or wear maternity/nursing clothes.

I think the only reason I'm not back up over my starting weight is that I was still carrying pregnancy weight when we started. This fall I was back to my pre-Cecilia weight, which was not great to begin with. Thanks to yesterday's fasting I'm back under the overweight BMI limit, but I'm still not in great shape for my frame size. I was thinking I could try the old-style Lenten fast as part of my Lenten promises, but then when I was reading about the old rules and people who do them now, a writer pointed out that if you're weighing yourself every day you're not doing a Lenten fast: you're dieting, and you might as well admit it. So I'm still going to try fasting between meals, because I know if I give myself an inch I'll take a mile, but it's not a Lenten fast. It's dieting. I just can't see myself giving up the scale for Lent. I'm already giving up Cafe World and Treasure Madness!

So that's where I stand. I'm fasting between meals on non-Sundays, I'm exercising 3-4 days a week at the gym, and I'm going to check the blog daily, and if the rest of you don't post I'll just hang around here talking to myself.

2 comments:

Julie S said...

I'm up for the re-issue of previous challenges, etc, and I agree that re-starting at the beginning is a good plan.

Amy said...

Me too! Great idea!