Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday, Monday

I am actually looking forward to today after having an incredibly grumpy weekend. I felt like my entire weekend was just a giant to-do list of chores, and it made me very unhappy, more so than usual for some reason. So, new week, new mind set.

I spent yesterday afternoon concocting a recipe for Cajun Jambalaya Pasta like you can get at Cheesecake Factory. I found a copy cat online, but it didn't seem quite right so I kept adjusting. Plus there were ingredients in the how-to steps that were not listed in the ingredients list. that annoys me :-) It turned out really well. As far as healthiness, I need to assess more formally, but I don't think it was totally awesome or totally awful--I loaded it with peppers, onions, tomatoes, then added some chicken, shrimp and spicy sausage, chicken bouillon, about a table spoon of olive oil, the Cajun spices, and then linguine. The online recipe called for an entire bottle of clam juice; I just can't bring myself to buy that stuff or use it. It just seems really gross to me. I substituted the chicken bouillon instead, and added some tomato juice. I think the healthy factor probably comes down to portion size given the pasta, but that is a guess. It definitely didn't have a lot of fat.

My exercise "schedule" is still off. I was planning to go tonight after work, but then Peter reminded me this morning that we are supposed to have dinner with friends tonight. Sheesh. I have class tomorrow night, so if I am going to get to the gym it will be nearly 8 pm.

I'm reading this book called The Happiness Project--any one else picked it up? I really enjoy it, and the author puts into words things I have felt for a long time but just couldn't verbalize well. for instance, I feel like just yesterday we were celebrating Christmas, but in reality it was nearly 2 months ago and we are almost at the end of February. One of the author's Four Splendid Truths is "The days are long, but the years are short. " I am really feeling this one right now.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I like that phrase! I was just thinking yesterday about how I was eating leftover pretzel packs from Halloween while I was driving to Williamsburg. I then realized that that drive was just slightly over a month after Halloween. It is now three months since that trip. Halloween seems like it was several months ago - but the Williamsburg trip seems like just a few weeks ago.

Amy said...

BTW - I DO still have my Brick Bodies membership - and I really want to start going again. Maybe we can team up.