Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Craving Carbage

I was STARVING when I got home from work tonight, and I didn't want ANY of the decent snacks we had in the house. I eventually made some popcorn, had a few cubes of cheddar cheese and a single Hershey's kiss, but what I really wanted was a huge stack of pancakes. I love pancakes, and Peter hates pancakes (and waffles and French Toast THE HORROR) so I never have them. Even now I am sitting here fantasizing about IHOP and what I would pick off the menu. Sheesh--I got home from work 2 1/2 hours ago and I am STILL thinking about pancakes.

I didn't weigh myself this week; the scale is a depressing tool. I just made a list of all the chores and tasks (I differentiate based on whether something is repetitive or not) and I have enough to do until mid next week if I work straight through. Some one please tell me that it is ok to leave this list and go exercise!!! I have a significant problem with this.

I did finally buy 2010 calendar pages for my planner today, so I am hoping having that tool again will help (force??) me to schedule time for the gym. I was also contemplating a personal trainer for a few sessions to help establish an actual routine. When I lived a million miles from work, I would come home and immediately hit the treadmill. Why doesn't that work for me now that I live close to work? I am also going to try to take the train downtown more frequently. My office is 4 blocks away from the station, uphill both ways. Not even joking on that; there is a hill in between the Lexington Market stop and my office on Arch St. It crests at Eutaw. I usually get a ride to work because, honestly, the train is totally ghetto, and sometimes it is downright scary. I try to keep an open mind, but it just doesn't always work because some people just really do seem to be total losers.

Well, I think I may get up from this table, leaving all my work spread out across it, walk past the mess in the kitchen, up the stairs and into the exercise room and use that giant dust catcher we have that is also known as a treadmill. After all, I did make those poor Russian boys I hired to move us carry the darn thing upstairs, so I should make some use of it.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Two thoughts:

1. Make whole-wheat pancake batter with skim milk and keep it on hand to make one or two when you're really craving them (it will keep in a closed container in the fridge for a few days, anyway -- then pre-make the pancakes and keep THEM in the fridge or freezer, and warm them in the toaster or microwave for yumminess) and they're really pretty good for you. When I make pancakes at home I really can't tell the difference between the whole-wheat and the white.

2. Put exercise on the list a bunch of times -- then you HAVE to do it just to cross it off! (And you get the satisfaction of accomplishing something on the list!)

Julie S said...

Well, I just finished 30 minutes of walking. I'm that out of shape that I only walked...no running. Maybe in a few weeks. But at least I did 30 minutes. Not much, but it is better than 0 minutes!

Thanks for the recipe idea; I'll have to try it. Although I seldom make anything that only I will eat, but maybe if I make them ahead it will be easier. I'll keep you posted!!

Amy said...

Pancakes are the ONLY thing that I can't bi-pass a craving for. I will crave them for WEEKS AND WEEKS unless I give into it. Emily is right about the whole wheat thing - or my preferred pancake is buckwheat. What is really sad is that if I say at work that I am craving pancakes EVERYONE else gets the same urge. We will finally break down and go to IHOP as a team.

Emily said...

Now you guys have ME craving pancakes. Blacksburg needs a pancake place. We have an IHOP but it's in Christiansburg -- you would think a college town would have an all-night pancake place close to campus, wouldn't you? We used to go to Steak & Egg in the middle of the night all the time in college.

Oh, well, yet another thing to add to my list of businesses I ought to start but have no desire to.