Monday, June 09, 2008

Zucchini Casserole sans zucchini

Last night I had a craving for zucchini casserole. I don't know why, because I was never a huge fan of it when mom made it. Actually, I liked all of it except the zucchini, which was just mushy and seedy - but that was enough to ruin the whole dish. Anyway - I had ground beef and cottage cheese in the fridge and I had to go to the grocery store anyway for milk and orange juice - so while I was there I got the rest of the ingredients for zucchini casserole. Except the zucchini. I ended up making it with asparagus and cherry tomatoes instead. I also used low fat/sodium cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom and a clove of garlic in place of the garlic salt. I used brown rice instead of white - I just prefer brown rice. It turned out AWESOME! I really like the tomatoes in it - They added a little bit of tanginess. Now, if you are all pulling out your Angerer Family Cookbooks to whip this up for dinner tonight (the recipe is on page 4) I would say that the only thing I would do differently next time is reduce the soup by about half. I think the condensed soup is needed to give it a little bit of squishiness, but the whole can made the flavor a little too dominate. Half would have been enough probably. The best thing about this casserole (and my miniature family) is that there is plenty for lunch leftovers for the rest of the week. Yay!

I weeded this weekend. I got home from Sarah's at about 8:10 on Saturday monring - and since that was the coolest it was going to be for the day I actually decided to attack my garden. Please understand what this entails. Aside from the poison ivy (which it doesn't look like I am going to get) we had weeds that were taller than me. We had bindweed (or so we took to calling it because these 1/4" fat vines were wrapped around each other and the bushes, pulling them over). We had these weird pseudo wild rose vines that are enormous - (grow up to great heights in weeks) but don't produce any flowers. They really are weird because they have the thorns and leaves of any rose bush - but they are just fast growing vines. I am sure they are what covered Sleeping Beauty's castle. I WISH I had taken pictures before I waded in with my machete - because I am not exagerating - NOBODY has weeds that big! So I worked for about 40 minutes on Saturday and another 20 on Sunday and made vast progress. I have narrowed the trauma portion to just an island in the middle. A lot of the weeds are baby bradford pear trees - which just don't pull up. You have to clip them close to the ground - which probably doesn't kill them and they are just building up these enormous root balls under the ground. Anyway - that was the extent of my exercise for the weekend. I intended to walk to the PO at some point - but it was too stinkin' hot.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ooooh, yuck on the weeding. We had a fake rose vine like that by our back door for years. Every year I'd have to keep cutting it back so we could get out the back door, and finally this spring I dug up the root ball. And the stupid thing STILL came back, although not as bad as before. So I dug THAT up (it was under the sidewalk) and now I hope I've gotten it all.