Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yesterday was all about exercise

Yesterday we needed to go to the grocery store, so I walked there and walked back pushing a stroller full of a 3-year-old and about a thousand pounds of groceries -- groceries weigh a lot on small plastic wheels!  I also had made a gym appointment (five, actually, over the upcoming week) so I decided the kids and I could try biking there, about three miles each way -- Alexander had absolutely no problem with the ride!  He's getting so much stronger at the biking.  He didn't even have to walk his bike up the steep hill on campus on the way back.  So biking to the gym is a viable option from now on.  Then, at the gym, I did 30 minutes on the elliptical (seemed silly to do more than that when I'd already been walking and biking all day) and my usual push-ups and crunches (better than usual on the push-ups -- since I'd had a monthlong break I was well rested, I guess).  And, finally, last night I had a coffee date downtown so I rode there and back as well.  The ride back was after dark (mostly -- you could still see a faint light tinge to the edge of the sky) so I made good use of my headlight and taillight.  I took the trail home but that was a little scary, as it's not at all well-lit except in the parts that are close to streets.  So if this happens again I'm going to go surface streets -- I'm at more risk from traffic (what little there is at that hour) but I won't feel like I'm flying through a dark tunnel with no end in sight.

I was pretty darn proud of myself at the end of the day!  My legs were exhausted and I slept hard last night.  This morning my arms are tired but my legs are fine -- so I'm getting stronger, too.  I have a gym appointment today but it's after piano lessons, so we'll drive there on the way home instead of biking there.  Tomorrow we'll ride bikes there again.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Who was your date with? What did DANIEL have to say about that???

Good job with the exercise!

Emily said...

Hee hee! It was just my friend Mary -- we try to get out about once a month for coffee, though we missed last month because she was having a baby (the nerve!). So I got to hold a one-month-old for a good portion of the outing. He was a real cutie! Hmmm... guess I'm not dispelling the Daniel concerns here...