Thursday, June 05, 2008

Joining the Walking Revolution

Yesterday I walked to and from church in the morning and then to and from the eye doctor's in the afternoon. It was so humid that I was DRIPPING sweat when I arrived where I wanted to be. All told the four trips combined to make about five miles. Then I also did a 90 minute yoga class. I WISH that exercise was like church - once a week is all you need... Oh well.

I did all of my walking wearing my flip flops. The thought process behind that was that my feet get so darn hot walking in tennis shoes - and Sarah and I took a three mile walk in my flip flops on Sunday and it didn't bother me. Well - it didn't bother me yesterday either - but the bottom of one foot has the start of some blisters. So - I think I want to get some tennis shoe sandals. I need new tennis shoes anyway - so I might as well make it sandals as well as anything else.

I missed the HUGE car washer storm yesterday afternoon by about 3 minutes. It was raining when I got home (and I had my umbrella luckily) but it was minutes later that the sky turned black and emptied out. Whew!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hooray! It's not that hard to get places on foot once you start making the effort. (And I saw a woman on a tricycle just yesterday -- I think we're going to be seeing those more and more. And she didn't look weird. She looked comfortable.) I read an article yesterday that said gas would have to hit $5 a gallon before people took alternative transportation options seriously -- I'm glad we're all making an effort for a mere $4, and you with a fuel efficient car and everything.

I rode my bike to the eye doctor today. I had to wear double sunglasses on the way back! And I'm planning to bike to the church tonight (5 mi each way, with Cecilia in the trailer) -- I just hope my eyes recover first.

Amy said...

Well - I think the eye doctor is just about the one thing that I do access on Reisterstown Road - and I won't need to go back there until my new glasses come in - which won't be until July sometime. I don't have even a crappy grocery store near me. I have a liquor store and several bars. Maybe I should take up drinking for exercise. 8-) There is also the library - but I go to the library less often than the eye doctor!

Yahoo news had a blurb about how the SUV is on it's last leg. My question is WHAT THE HECK TOOK THEM SO LONG!??! Isn't there a moral responsibility rule or something? I mean - surely the car makers know that as long as they make something perceived as "cool" the stupid people of the world will buy it. And we all know that the stupid people are the majority! Hummers - come on!??! So why didn't GW call for a halt on production of SUVs back when he declared war on the middle east! Or - maybe it was all his insidious plan - Declare war on the oil countries and suddenly TEXAS oil is more in demand and prices will be driven up. Ah ha! Suddenly the last 8 years are beginning to make sense.

And that is why I will be going to the eye doctors more often this summer.