Monday, August 20, 2007

Results Not Typical

So - WHAT exactly is typical!?? If you look up the websites of Jenny Craig, or Weight Watchers or any of the other weight loss companies they all have pictures of people who lost weight, or stories or who lost how much and EVERYONE of them always says "results not typical" no matter WHAT the amount is that they lost. So my question is, WHAT is typical? Why don't they have pictures of people who have lost five pounds over two months. If that is typical - show THEM! But - my other thought is WHY isn't weight loss typical if the person IS trying to lose weight. I mean, with the exception of me, this blog generated a LOT of weight loss - but not just loss, weight maintenance. If you figure we started out with six of us - three of you reached your goals (or pretty close) and have managed to stay close to that goal. The other three of us lost some weight - and, for the most part have kept some of it off. I think I am the only one who has gone HIGHER than my starting weight - and that was over a year after I started, and after I quit smoking. So - I think, based on our cross section study the weight loss WAS typical and the gain was the results that weren't typical.

My eating this weekend was pretty good - in that I stuck to the elimination diet with the exception of one drink I had with Katie after her opening night show on Friday and some gluten free, wheat free, egg free, cookies I had (found at Wegmans) that I discovered after I ate them had maize flour in them which I think is on the forbidden list.

I still didn't exercise. I thought of it several times this weekend - either taking a walk or actually going to the gym - but I didn't even give the thought a change to gel before it was gone and so I didn't actully DO any exercise. I did a tiny bit of gardening and I did some laundry - but otherwise, my energy focus was mostly on pressing quilt blocks and sorting out projects. I hope I get my machine back soon!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Well, you give us a little bit too much credit. Five of us did lose weight, but Mom quit almost immediately and gained all hers back, I didn't quit and gained more than half back and the other half was arguably just maternity weight I would have lost anyway, and Katie didn't have much to lose and hasn't kept up with us so who knows if she really lost or kept it off. THIS is the part I think is typical -- two dropouts, one regain, and two struggle-to-maintain among the losers.

Amy said...

See - Now, you are making the same mistake with Katie that everyone does. She started at 158 and lost 24 pounds before she stopped posting. I have NO idea where she is right now, but I bet she hasn't gained back anywhere NEAR that full amount. You started at 173.5 and are now fighting to keep yourself at 150(ish). That is pretty darn good. So what if you nursed half of your weight away - you are still 23.5 pounds down from where you started. Mom quit about 6 months in - which is a pretty good run for a weight loss program. I also don't know where she stands right now... She was kind of the neutral person in all of this.

No - I still say we lost and maintained more than anything.

Emily said...

Mom has told me she gained back more than she lost. I didn't know how much Katie lost because while she kept telling you her weight she didn't tell any of us. And she still dropped out and has said she hasn't kept it all off. And don't forget Barb, who said she was joining and disappeared after a week -- I bet that's pretty "typical", too. My lowest pre-pregnancy weight was 157 so I'm only 7 pounds down from that, and these days my fat clothes fit better than most of my thin clothes.

My point is, it's NOT easy, and 20 or 30 pound weight losses aren't typical even in our very motivated group of people -- and I imagine if you're with a group of anonymous people you're considerably less motivated. You can slink away from those groups without anyone missing you!

Sarah said...

Yeah, I think typical is initial loss, then plateau, then maybe a bit more, then regaining it. That's what I'm trying to avoid now!

Did you all see the news piece today or yesterday about the theory that some people's weight gain may partially be due to a virus they had at some point in the past? I'll see if I can find a link and I'll post it.