Friday, August 17, 2007

Give Blood

OK - So I did - give blood that is. Last night after work. I ate cookies. WELL! They don't exactly HAVE snacks for elimination diet people. I LOOKED for fresh fruit - but I was the last person there, they were packing up around me and I KNOW they just wanted me to eat my cookies and shut up. I did drink water though. No soda or fruit juice for me. Anyway - as a result my stomach was all upset last night - but I don't know if it was because of the cookies, or if it would have been that way anyway. I did discover another snack I could eat - peanut butter. That is an approved food, as long as it is all natural, no additives. So, peanut butter with apples is a good snack.

I have nothing else to report. I didn't exercise - I didn't get home from giving blood until around 9pm - and made dinner at that point. By THEN it was practically time to go to bed. So - that was my whole day.

I dropped my sewing machine off for a tune-up. I haven't had it done since I bought the machine - seven years ago I believe. Hopefully they will be able to replace the broken flap of the open arm part of the machine. Currently it is held together with packing tape - that seems to be doing the trick. The bobbin case cover also was behaving perfectly yesterday. It frequently doesn't release when you need it too, but yesterday it did both times when I tried to show the guy what was wrong with the machine. I also got yelled at because there was a metal bobbin in the machine. You are only supposed to use plastic bobbins - which I HAVE, but for some reason currently there is a metal one in there. I have to switch out all of my bobbins!! I have been very much back into the idea of quilting - I am sure much to Mom's relief since she is the owner of one of my unfinished projects. Katie's quilt is also slated to be finished - and I have all of the fabric and design for one for Mary (using some inheirated quilt blocks from Grandma as the center design...) I have a pattern and some fabrics for one for Connor (a VERY cute one with frogs forming the blocks...and an idea for one for Claire, but I can't find the pattern for it. However, at the rate that you all are reproducing I will never get all of the kids covered. Since I currently have no machine I think I will start cutting out squares for some of these other quilts. Sigh - Too bad I have to work for a living! I SO want to be home playing with fabrics right now!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Is it your machine in particular that is supposed to use only plastic bobbins (I know they say that about a lot of the newer machines), or is it ALL sewing machines? My machine pre-dates plastic bobbins! I'm just wondering if I'm likely to get yelled at too -- the Bernina store was too busy scolding me for using the plastic foot instead of the metal one to notice bobbins.

I haven't been posting but I've been lurking, so don't feel too much like you're talking to yourself!

Amy said...

I think it is mostly just my machine - but I don't know that for sure. Many of my bobbins are from my old machine (which I almost dug out to use this weekend) but I know you can still buy metal bobbins - so SOME machines must use them. In fact, I THINK I have metal ones in the same style as my plastic ones - so I am not sure what the story is. I HAVE plenty of plastic ones - I just didn't see the point in using them until I got yelled at. What plastic foot do you have? I have some plastic ones, but the shanks are metal - and they were designed specifically for my machine.

Emily said...

I found a site (after much hunting) that said, "It is ok to use plastic bobbins in metal and plastic bobbin cases. Metal class 15 bobbins should only be used in front load metal bobbin cases as it may cause undue wear on top load plastic bobbin cases, but will work fine." So the metal bobbins are presumably a bit hard on your machine but should be OK on mine.

My foot has a metal shank but the foot itself is clear plastic. I thought it was identical to the all-metal zig-zag foot -- except you can see what you're doing through it -- but the woman who repaired my machine said it's a slightly different shape and won't work as well, and it has a specific other use. But I forget the reasoning.

Since I use my machine for sewing brownie badges and to make Halloween costumes once a year (and this year hardly even that -- Mary wants to be a cowgirl, Cecilia wants to wear the cat costume, and Alexander wants to be an astronaut, which I think I'll buy because home sewn ones look idiotic), I figure it hardly makes a difference *what* foot I use.

Amy said...

I think the clear plastic is for decorative stitches - you can see more of your work through it. So - what does it matter WHAT you use it for? Is it doing any damage? If so, what kind and why? I can see that the metal foot probably has more weight to it and will hold your fabric flatter - but the difference is probably so slight that it isn't worth stressing over.