Saturday, September 04, 2010

Run for fun? What the h*** kind of fun is that?

We were watching Back to the Future 3 last night, and as Doc Brown went on and on about the future to the people of the old West he mentioned that people run for fun and exercise, not out of need. And one of the old-timers said, "Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?" I think I need that on a T-shirt.

I went to the New River Trail today to try a longer run. The trail is nice; not as well-tended as NCR (it's mostly just slightly graveled tire tracks, though sometimes there isn't even gravel) but it has a lot of railroad trestles and some gorgeous views, so what it lacks in substance it makes up for in style. I had the supplies to go the full, scheduled 23, if I could, but after less than a mile my right knee (not the worse one from before, but lately the more annoyed) started complaining, and by a mile and a half or so I knew I couldn't do the entire distance because both knees hurt. I decided to go at least 3 on the way out, and when I got to 3 I thought 4 would be nice, because last week I did 4, so with the return trip I'd double my distance. But at 3.2 the pain was much sharper, so I had the good sense to turn back. On the way back my legs sometimes felt as heavy as lead. I finished out at about six and a half miles and felt pretty good when I got to the parking lot, but I drove home, thinking I could always do some more distance on the Huckleberry if I wanted to. But when I got out of the car it was BAD. I could barely walk. It has loosened up some now -- so it's nothing like the last time -- but I was right to quit when I did, and probably I should have stopped sooner. I think I'll stick to the elliptical for my exercise during this week, and keep it light on my legs.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Do you take Glucosamine? It has helped a lot with my knee issues. Dad also says it helps his. Mom doesn't seem to get any benefit from it - but it certainly can't hurt to try. I forgot to take it this morning and I was DEFINITELY feeling it!