Sunday, September 12, 2010

I'm back finally ...

Hi all,

Sorry for the long absence -- but I am going to try to post on a regular basis.

Eating and exercising for me is going pretty well. I went to Maine last month and got in some good hikes including one that required that I morph into a billy goat -- straight down on granite. My hiking guide called it a moderate hike of about 2.5 miles that took more than two hours due to its straight up, straight down route. Argh! I loved it though and wasn't sore after that one. I did another one where I slipped on the smooth granite -- I wasn't in any danger of falling off a cliff or anything -- but it's never fun to fall and go boom.

I've gotten out and hiked the past few weekends -- near here at Great Falls park and out in Shenandoah last weekend. A really nice 5-mile loop that I'd like to do again without my friends' kids so I could pick up the pace. There were some good hills.

On Labor Day I did a 20-mile bike ride on the WO&D that went really well. I'm training to do a C&O Canal ride in a couple of weeks. Some friends are doing a 4-day trip from Cumberland to Georgetown. Depending on my work schedule I'll do either two or three days -- about 40-50 miles a day.

I've been trying to get slightly thicker tires on my hybrid bike but the back wheel can't take much more than a slick because the tire rubs against the deraileur. I took it to the bike shop the other night and the bike mechanics swore they could easily find a wider tire without an issue but, alas, they failed and were irritated about it. Kinda funny. So I've thought about a second bike for trails like C&O and the Greater Allegheny Passage (GAP). It might be easier and in the end, cost me less -- if I can find a good used bike.

Otherwise I'm trying to walk or run daily and do some other strength exercises. I can pick up that part of my workout. I'm not doing enough.

Eatingwise not too bad. I'm mostly living off farmers market veggies -- zuke, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes, peaches, nectarines and whatever else we've got. I grill most of it eat night and make either a morning smoothie or do yogurt and fruit.

I don't eat fast food and rarely eat out -- BORING -- so it seems like I should be dropping weight faster but I'm not.

I read a blog post by a guy who calls himself the Organic Triathlete. He said he's strict with his food during the week as in no alcohol or bread but he lets it fly on the weekends within reason. I could definitely cut my beer consumption -- while Congress has been out of session and I've been working at home, it's easier to open the fridge at the end of the workday. Still, I do it in moderation.

I am looking at some longer bike rides -- I think Sarah mentioned a 100-miler -- because I do really enjoy that and outside of the butt-ache it's nice and no impact. Plus there are so many awesome trails around here to ride. Plus I love hiking and have been trying to at least get out once a weekend.

The work continues ...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Anytime you want to switch lives for a few weeks, just let me know. Your trip to Maine and all of your weekend wanderings sound like so much fun! I wish I could do the canal ride with you.

Your tire is rubbing against your derailleur? That's a new one--I've heard of people having problems with thicker/more treaded tires rubbing against the frame and the brakes, but never the derailleur. I hope you can figure that one out!