Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Hadrian's Wall



Last night Dad and I were talking about (and googling) the Hadrian's Wall Trail, the 80 mile National Trust walking path that follows what's left of Hadrian's Wall. Dad mentioned before that he wanted to walk this trail and last night he said he was serious. I'm serious along with him, although with Brian still out of work I don't see this as a realistic trip in my immediate future. The whole trail can be done in about a week, and there are companies that plan it for you, booking accommodations and giving you the maps and detailed walking guides and transporting your luggage from one night's accommodation to the next. All you have to do is the walking--generally 12 to 15 miles a day of easy to strenuous, depending on where you are on the route.


Mom's not enthused ("Oh, I hate all this waaaaallking"), although to be fair her knee really hurts so I could see that might put a damper on a walking vacation. I told her to get a new knee or some cortisone shots and a knee brace, or find a nice B&B in the Lake District to hang out in while we do the walking tour. She pointed out that the two miles they walked that day exhausted them, which may well be true, but then, Emily didn't start her marathon training with 17 mile runs. Dad reminded her that they walked all the way to York and back one summer in short increments--this would be just like that, only instead of stopping and turning around they'd keep going. And instead of going home after six miles they'd take a break, eat some lunch, tour a Roman fort, and then take another walk in the afternoon. Oh, and it's just a tad bit hillier than the NCR trail. Also generally colder. And more sheep.

But the benefits? Yeah, there's all that nice scenery and history and all, but here's what has me enthused: when Claire and I went hiking on Monday, I burned about 1400 calories. Walking along the Hadrian's Wall Trail, I figure I'd burn maybe twice that each day. Think of all the English breakfasts I could eat for that! And the Hob Nobs! I could go through a package a day!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I would absolutely LOVE to do this! I am in, just let me know when so I can start training. Cross country walking has always been oddly appealing to me.

Sarah said...

Why not start training now?

Emily said...

I would also love this! I figure it's worth a try, at least.

Amy said...

I am so excited by this!!! I am setting out a training schedule for me. YAY! I also need hiking shoes/boots...

Mary said...

Well, I certainly don't want to be the one left behind to babysit, so I guess I'll have to go, too. Dad just reminded me we are planning to go to Spain next year, so I'm not sure we could afford two trips.