Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Only a little weight loss

My weight cheerfully plunged down to 139.5 almost overnight, but then Daniel's birthday weekend hit -- we socialized three nights in a row and then Sunday morning as well. I finally started eating again normally yesterday, but the damage was done, so I was back to 140.5 today. At least it's a decrease from last week, and now I'm more or less counting calories again and I'll try to get fully back on the wagon as the week goes on.

I'm really depressed about the whole running thing right now. The weather is GORGEOUS and has been most of the time for the last week, but I can't even walk properly most of the time, let alone get out for a run or a real bike ride. This morning was the first time I have been able to go downstairs without wincing in ten days -- my knee just isn't recovering at the rate I'd like to see. I have just over a month until the marathon, but it's been more than that since I first injured the I-T band, so it's clear the recovery is going to continue to be slow and that I'll be lucky if I can run it at all. I'm doing my best to stay conditioned through other exercise, but it's just not the same -- 40 minutes on a recumbent bike barely even gets my heart rate into the cardio zone, and even THAT makes my leg complain sometimes. Today I managed what felt like a good faux-run on the elliptical, but then I tried a single loop on the track and it was excruciating. This Saturday was supposed to be my 26-mile training run, and it ain't happenin'.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Have you seen a doctor yet? Or been for PT? I'm concerned that you're trying to heal this yourself without getting some outside help.

Emily said...

I haven't been yet but I do recognize at this point that it's inevitable. On Monday I had a luncheon, today I had a dentist appointment, and tomorrow I have a second dentist appointment (I'm stunned -- they got me in for the filling the day after the cleaning!). So I'm imposing on Daniel three days in a row. I'm not sure how I can KEEP killing his writing time by adding yet a fourth outing in a week! But I'll call for an appointment tomorrow anyway -- odds are they won't get me in until next week.

Vicki said...

Also Emily, you can get your heart rate up on the recumbent bike -- keep it above 100 rpms. I did a boot camp and we did that and it was killer. Interval training is great, too. Fast for a minute, med for a minute, slow for a minute and so on. I start with slow. I warm up first when on equipment.

Also, depending on your pain you could've torn your meniscus or even ACL. So def takes Sarah's advice on a doc visit.

I'm impressed with how hard you've worked and your results -- especially with a busy family life.

Feel better.