Tuesday, September 21, 2010

And today's update

My weight this morning was 143 even. See, I KNEW I should have only reported my higher weight last week. But by going officially with 143.8 last week, that means I only lost .8 pounds this week.

Yesterday I ate healthy all day. Sort of. OK, dammit, I overate again, only this time my downfall was the mixed nuts someone brought in to work. This is the week of our major fundraising event, so there tends to be a lot of junk food lying around--people bringing in muffins from home and ordering pizza for lunch and all. But yesterday someone brought in a huge tin of mixed nuts (the really good kind with no peanuts--all almonds and cashews and pecans and brazil nuts) and I couldn't keep out of them. So again I went over my calorie goal for the day, but not by too much. And it was all healthy, right?

But I also went for a run yesterday and it was awesome. I was feeling a bit guilty the whole time because I was enjoying the run and thinking of Emily who SHOULD be the one enjoying running in this gorgeous weather instead of me. I was doing the little angel-and-devil-on-my-shoulder thing going over to the gym--I wanted to exercise outside, I didn't want to make my knee any worse, but running is so much more efficient an exercise than the elliptical, but the elliptical is a safer choice right now - I should give my knee more time to heal. My knee hadn't been hurting for a few days except on the odd occasion when I'd break into a run and the pain would immediately bring me to a halt.

What finally convinced me to run outside instead of staying inside (besides the torture of being stuck inside when it was sunny and breezy and 75 degrees) was my clothes. I had my icky shorts with me--the ones that don't fit quite right and balloon out in the front and pull up at the sides and I hate them but they were the only clean ones--and had accidentally brought last year's Iron Girl shirt with me--the one I never wear because it's too small and rides up around my waist. These two together are a disaster--baloony butt and stomach and skin tight top that won't stay down and is useless for hiding my stomach. When I wear those shorts I HAVE to have a slightly big shirt. And I couldn't face wearing these in the gym where I'd stay still surrounded by students and coworkers for 40 minutes, so I went out in public where more people might see me but I'd wear a hat and glasses and no one would know who I was, so even fi they were laughing at me it would never come back to haunt me.

I was prepared to stop and walk if I needed to, but I took it really easy, especially for the first half mile or so when I made sure to land exactly perfectly on my left foot so I wouldn't jar my knee. On the downhills I could feel the tendon on the back of my knee, so maybe a bit inflamed still, but it was more of an awareness than an actual pain. On the flats and the uphills there was no pain at all. I maintained a steady pace the whole way and kept my heartrate well within my target rate, and actually RAN (or jogged) the whole way--no stopping to walk. I didn't beat any land speed records, but finished with a respectable 9:50 pace per mile, which I'm more than happy with. It's rare when I enjoy a run at all--I think of running as more of a painful obligation, nothing to be dreaded like swimming, but not fun like cycling--but between the pain free run, the beautiful weather, and the easy pace it was pretty darn close to fun.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Don't feel guilty on MY account! You know what it's like to be in pain when you run (or do other exercise) so yo appreciate the pain-free state. I do occasionally resent some of the bouncy people all over my neighborhood and street, though, because I know they have NO idea how good they've got it!

I know what you mean about the clothes -- my best running t-shirt (the only one that has breathable fabric and doesn't get all sweat-soaked) is a little bit short so the world gets a display of my muffin top. I can't even think about wearing it on a bike. At least when I'm running outside there aren't so many people around and people who ARE around are generally flying by on a bike or walking so slowly that I fly by them. And I can hitch the shirt down on a regular basis if I'm going to be near anyone for long.