Thursday, September 09, 2010

End-of-summer run

I kind of like this exercise-for-fun thing. I'm still making myself get out and get moving four days a week, but I'm not tied to any kind of training schedule and I'm not forcing myself to meet certain times when I do any of these activities.

So yesterday I had my gym bag and it was hot out so I figured I'd just use the treadmill or elliptical at the gym, but as I was walking over I figured it wasn't really that hot - I went out all summer in weather MUCH hotter, and besides, it was so dry yesterday that I was dealing with static electricity problems, and really I just prefer exercising outside.

So I went for my usual run, and it was gorgeous--easy pace, easy breathing, floating up hills without even noticing them. That was the first two miles. Then the next mile and a half was just pain. Well, not really pain, but tired and thirsty (hmmm, dry weather feels cooler, but you really need to bring water with you) and heart rate, which was staying in the 170s for the first two miles even on the hills, soaring into the 180s and staying there in spite of the pretty easy terrain. It was such a quick switch from fine to suffering that it shocked me a bit. When I got back to the gym (with average speeds just over 10 minutes per mile) I was shaky and feeling sick had to sit down for a while. It passed, and I was fine the rest of the day, but I've never felt like that after a run this whole time I've been running--I might be breathing hard and sweaty, but never shaky and sick like that.

All I can figure is that my body might be having a hard time adjusting back to my lower calorie diet--I'm eating the same as I always have while dieting (so roughly 1200 - 1400 calories per day), but as yesterday was only day 2 of that diet, I think my body hasn't yet gotten the message that it needs to swich over to burning fat--it was looking for all that good carb-laden fuel, and there just wasn't enough to draw on.

3 comments:

Emily said...

That does sound like a blood sugar crash. Usually it takes longer, though -- how long had it been since you'd eaten anything?

My low-cal diet lasted four days (and I lost almost four pounds -- I like this technique!) because today is Daniel's birthday (veal scaloppine and birthday cake), tomorrow is happy hour (beer and tater tots with bacon and cheese), and Saturday is Daniel's party (food and drinks TBD). But then I'm back to it. The shock to the system is a mixed bag -- you lose weight really quickly for a few days but you're hungry a lot of the time and completely off balance. I hope this doesn't happen again for you!

Amy said...

I have had blood sugar crashes happen quickly like that... Usually in church, after fasting - especially if I have my period.

I have NEVER had that new diet drop lots of weight experience. I want that. I have noticed that since I haven't been eating as many salads my weight has started creeping back up (not that it got super low!). I need to go back to the salads!

Sarah said...

I ate lunch around 12:00 or 12:30 and went running at 2:00, so it hadn't been that long, but it occurs to me that since I probably have a greater percentage of my body weight in muscle right now, that increases my basal metabolism so I'm probably burning off what I eat faster than I was five years ago when I first went on this diet.

The faster weight loss this week is pretty cool, though. I'm down two pounds since Tuesday. I just need to be careful to eat enough protein to keep my muscles but lose my fat!