Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Where is everybody?

Are we only able to keep up with one group activity at a time? I'm just getting around to posting at 10 pm and nobody else has posted today, either. It is Tuesday today, right? My weight was 142.5 today -- same as the last couple of weeks. I'm back to exercising, at least some; I did a 4 mile run on Saturday without any real problems. I took it very easy, first doing a minute running/one minute walking until that got too boring, and I switched to two minutes running/one walking. I had no pain, but my legs were tired when I was done, and my stamina was definitely down. But it was also hot.

Today I went out again, just for 30 minutes (not quite 3 miles -- I'm sloowww right now) and did 3 minutes running/one walking. This evening my legs are very tired and achy all over, but at least my knees aren't complaining. I think my whole lower half has just been stretched almost to the breaking point and is on strike. I still have six and a half weeks to go so I think I'm OK yet. I'm going to try my 23-mile run this weekend; I discovered we have a rail trail like NCR, only 50+ miles long, (the New River Trail) that begins about 30 minutes from here. It's unpaved, so it will be easier on my legs, theoretically. And it's relatively flat (well, 11 1/2 miles slightly uphill, 11 1/2 miles down). I'll also run on Thursday, and I have a gym appointment tomorrow. (Which ends at 5:15, and then I have to be at church from 6-9 -- overkill by our new music director who forgets what it's like to have children, apparently -- so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to eat, what with getting home, getting changed, and getting there.)

After this I'm not sure what to do -- if I manage this run, I'm behind schedule by exactly one week. I can either do my next long run 3 weeks before the marathon instead of 4, or I can do it two weeks after this run, which is a little tight; alternatively, I can try to figure out how to do a long run mid-week, and split the difference, but I really don't know how to work that, considering that finding 30 minutes to escape for an outdoor run is tricky enough as it is. (OTOH, the kids were better behaved and accomplished more during my run this morning than the rest of the day. Maybe I should disappear for five hours after all?)

No comments: