Thursday, August 26, 2010

Exercise

I managed to get a gym appointment for yesterday -- Tuesday they were full, today I have to deliver dinner to a friend at that time, and tomorrow we have an event at the new performing arts school the kids' piano teacher is running. But at least I got one day in. I ran on the treadmill at 6 mph for 4 minutes, walked at 4 for 1, ran at 6.1 for 4, walked at 4.1 for 1. At the end of ten minutes I had no knee discomfort at all. But somewhere during the second mile I started noticing IT-band fatigue, so I slowed way down to under 6 until I finished 2 miles, and then I walked a quarter mile or so. After that I switched to the elliptical and had a much more intense workout but no-impact, and I had no more pain. So I'm not fully healed but I can bear a little more than I could a week or so ago. Last night it was just achy and not very localized, so I took some ibuprofen and stretched it out, and I'm feeling good today. MAYBE I'm on the road to recovery!

Totally off the subject, I find myself glad today that I keep light margarine on hand -- I let Cecilia butter her own bread just now (yummy Panera baguette -- totally nutritionally useless), and not only did she slather a full 1/8" of it on the surface, but she also filled up a large gaping hole in the middle of the slice with more margarine all the way through. This same child absolutely loves cheese. She doesn't have nearly as much of a sweet tooth as the rest of us -- she abandons Halloween and Easter candy entirely after a few days, and gives up on cupcakes after a few bites -- but I suspect her vice is just as bad for her heart (and waistline) in the long run!

No comments: