Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pedaling squares

That's what you call it when you get on the bike and every pedal stroke is a huge effort and the whole ride is miserable from the get-go. You're pedaling squares.

I don't know what the equivalent is for running, but that's the run I had just now. Every step was an effort and I just couldn't do it. I covered my usual run from work, but it took 41 minutes instead of 33 or 34. Obviously, I walked large sections of it. Going DOWNHILL my heart rate was in the 180s if I was running. So I walked.

Obviously it's the heat, and the lack of sleep (three hours a night for each of the last three nights), and the stress of dealing with Brian and the broken-down car in Pennsylvania again. Three days without exercise wouldn't do this to me--my runs at Pennsic were good, and my swim/run just before Pennsic was great. So I need to get some sleep, do some deep breathing, and generally just figure out how to calm down. I can't believe I'm having a week like this on my final week of training, but it's not like I have a lot of choice in the matter. I was hoping to do better in the race this year than I did last year, but if that doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. Just the end of my triathlon career, which it was going to be anyway!

1 comment:

Amy said...

You need an acupuncture treatment. I just got one and I feel infinitely better!! I was getting the tightness in my chest again from stress and it eased it immediately!