Thursday, August 19, 2010

In Training

I forgot to post on Tuesday. My weight was up 1 pound from last week. 8-( BUT that is still down 8 pounds from where I was at the beginning of June. I just hope that one pound up was the fluke and I will start going down again soon.

I think it is the salads. Bulky, crunchy water, nutritionally positive and it goes RIGHT through me. I haven't had one this week - but I have two current - one for lunch today and one for dinner last night (which, obviously, I didn't eat). I will have number two for dinner either tonight or tomorrow.

NOTE TO SELF - I don't LIKE chef salads. I keep forgetting that. Also - I REALLY don't like fat free ranch dressing. YUCK! Lunch was a disappointment.

My stomach has been a mess lately. I have gone beyond reflux at this point to a very burny acidy stomach. I hate it. I can't remember if I said this before, but I wonder how long I have had this going on. I know I talked to Shea (accupuncturist) about it LAST month. I told her that I was aware recently of a lot of pain in my stomach. What troubles me is that I can't tell if the pain has always been there and I have gotten so good at ignoring it that I don't notice it anymore - or if it is new. I am inclined to think it has always been there to a degree, mostly because that would TOTALLY explain how it is that I don't feel hunger. It would also explain why I can do a lot of sit ups with minimal pain... 8-) The acidy feeling is new though...

The trouble with an unstatisfying salad for lunch is that now I want to eat cookies or cake or something.

Anyway - I wanted to let you all know that I am training now for a MAJOR EVENT! I want to knit a sock in a day. Many people post this as a challenge periodically and I think I may have to set myself up for it. Unlike a marathon or triathelon this event actually often takes the BETTER PART of 24 hours. The sock must be cast on and completed in a consecutive 24 hour period. I know some people do lace patterns because they cover more territory - but I like the simplicity of a straight stockinette sock. Who's with me???!!!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Count me out! I'd have to learn to knit first -- and then to read a knitting pattern -- and then I'd need to figure out the supplies (I find all the different kinds of yarn and needles, and sizes of both, to be very intimidating). I suspect the knitting training would take WAY less time than the marathon/triathlon training, but I'm not taking on anything new right now!

Amy said...

LOL! You would be surprised. I mean, you need to build up finger strength... not to mention butt endurance. AND you have to figure out what techniques will help you complete the sock fastest; toe up or top down? Slipped heel or solid? What sort of gusset? Lace or solid, etc. Size of needles CLEARLY helps. I mean, if you are working on zeros it will take MUCH longer than on 3s.

As to how confusing the sizes and yarns are. That is easy. The smaller the number the smaller the needle. Yarns will recommend what size needles to use, which means if you used needles bigger than recommended you will get a lacy, drapy fabric, smaller than recommended will give you are stiffer fabric. Your own gauge will help to determine that too. Katie knits tightly so uses bigger needles to get the correct gauge. I knit to gauge pretty consistantly, but I had to work to get there.