Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gaining weight?

I was 144.5 this morning, an increase of a couple of pounds since last week, and consistent with what I've seen the last several days. I don't feel like I'm retaining water, but given that my calorie intake was right at 1200 every day except Friday (1600-ish) and Saturday (1800-ish) for a total of only 9000-ish calories, it would be impossible for me to have gained two pounds of real weight unless I burned zero calories over seven days. And since the long run alone was probably around 2000 calories, it's safe to assume that I did burn a few more than zero. I may not be retaining water per se, but it might be that last week I was a little dehydrated and didn't know it.

At any rate, I'm not overly alarmed; I know I'm exercising well and eating well -- I've even started filling up my leftover calories at the end of the day with healthy foods, like cheese and bananas, instead of junk foods like beer and ice cream (well, maybe just a little beer and ice cream, but not something bad every day) because I keep thinking of the impact the foods have on my running. It's pretty cool how I feel like it's all starting to come together. I've built up the muscle strength and stamina to run a marathon, but I'm wanting to feel good as I do it, so I'm paying more attention to eating and sleeping well, and I'm just feeling so much better all over. It's going to feel weird when this is all over and I don't have a goal anymore. Maybe that's why people stick with the marathon circuit -- so they always have something else to shoot for. But I've hated what I've had to do to my body to get to this point, and most of the time I really resent the time it takes to do a long run. And I'm tired of feeling injured -- it's working its way in a circuit through my legs. My right hip, my right calf, my toes, my arches, the massive blisters UNDER my arches, my achilles tendon, my left knee, my left hip (same injury as the knee -- when the I-T band gets inflamed you mostly feel it in your knee but it's anchored at the hip so sometimes that hurts, too). Surely I'm going to run out of things that can hurt anew soon. Of course, I haven't strained my back yet, or my shoulders, and I haven't fallen and broken an elbow or a wrist, so I guess I shouldn't say that!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Just remember, when you think it couldn't possibly get worse--that's when a tree falls on your house.

Might I suggest sprint distance triathlons for your future goals? You actually LIKE to swim, and that's the hard part. Imagine participating in an event that's over in less than two and a half hours (less than two if you're reasonably fast), with nothing done long enough to cause injury, and with training that takes less than four hours total on a hard week.

Or we could do a relay next year so I can still participate without having to swim. You do the swim, I'll do the bike, and we'll flip a coin for the run portion or get someone else to do it.

Although I'm thinking after this race I'm going to work on doing century rides. Probably start with the Seagull Century next year on the eastern shore--nice and flat.

Emily said...

I was thinking about century rides, too. Unfortunately, the local one is called "Mountains of Misery" because it goes all over the mountains close to Blacksburg and ends on a long, long uphill. Ugh. A friend of mine who bikes said on his first time out, he was dying on the final hill and some 10-year-old cruised right by him -- pretty demoralizing! (I said the kid had to be something impressive if he could pass well-trained adults so casually in the final miles!) At any rate, I'm not excited about horrible hills on the bike, at least not on long rides (I have voluntarily ridden up the mountain road out of Blacksburg, a couple of times, so I'm somewhat insane). Seagull Century sounds lovely.

Emily said...

Here's the elevation profile on the Mountains of Misery ride: http://www.cyclingdoubleheader.com/mountains-of-misery