Wednesday, November 20, 2013

REAL exercise

Yesterday afternoon it was absolutely beautiful out, and at one point I had all the kids working independently, so even though I wanted to sit on the sofa and waste time, I decided I would get outside and exercise.  I couldn't get enthused about going for a run, even though that would be quick and a high-calorie burn, so I decided to go to the trouble of getting dressed for a bike ride and going out.

It was awful.  It has been a couple of months since I've gone for a real ride.  At least.  Maybe three.  First I had stink bugs in my cycling shoe, which I discovered after I'd put them on; I felt one, took it off and saw two, and shook out four.  Then I looked again and saw one more.  Ugh.  Fortunately the other shoe was clear.  But it was an inauspicious beginning.  Then I went out on a ride and figured I'd just try the Huckleberry -- the hills aren't too bad and there only a couple that require a real effort, and it would be about 11 miles round trip so I'd have time to get it in before I had to be home to take Cecilia to Chorale, with time to spare.  But the stink bugs and pumping up my tires had delayed me, and then I turned out to be really, really slow.  I had to use the granny gears to get up the smallish hills.  And halfway through I discovered I wasn't wearing my watch, but I didn't remember taking it off -- fortunately it turned up at home -- but I spent the ride back worrying about whether I'd lost it on way out, and wondering whether I could even see it among the leaves if it was there.  I finally made it back home nearly ten minutes later than I'd hoped and barely in time to get Celie to her practice.

My legs were aching last night; they are fine this morning, but my shoulders are a bit sore.  But I'm really not that discouraged.  I still enjoyed riding quite a bit.  I layered up against the cold (it was 40ish) so it wasn't at all bad in that sense, though I was cold once I got home and relaxed.  As the weather gets colder it's going to be harder to enjoy the ride.  But a couple of years ago I rode right through the winter.  I would put the hood up on my coat under my helmet and wear my fleece cowl over my chin, and I have wool socks and toe covers for my shoes, and it wasn't that bad.  So I could do this again.  So long as it's sunny and not windy.  And so long as I can take a hot shower afterwards, which I couldn't get yesterday -- that would have helped a lot.  And maybe come spring I won't be a beginning rider again -- I can get that out of the way during the season when nobody else is out riding much.

I actually got all the way up to 1200 calories yesterday and drank all my water (8 cups).  Today my weight was at its lowest point yet.  Progress!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ewww on the stink bugs!!! But at least we don't live in Arizona where they have to check for scopions before putting on their shoes, right? I need to get toe covers. And better cycling shoes. My only shoe-type shoes make my feet fall asleep. I like my cycling sandals, but they're really not appropriate for this kind of weather.