Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My brain hurts

And it's not from a lack of creative titles.  My head is literally a bit achy, I think because I can't seem to space my calories out correctly so I end up needing 500 calories at bedtime and I don't get them all in.  I despise the game, but at least I always ate enough on it.  But then I had days when I didn't need the calories and was still forced to eat, and I was drinking three liters of water when two has been plenty to keep me running to the bathroom.

Thanks to the water intake and the calorie deficit, and probably only minimally to the Wii (which I did again yesterday, but I couldn't fit it in until almost 11 pm), I also dropped a pound and a half today.  That took me back to the weight that I was horrified to see last month.  It is always amazing to me how quickly a terrible weight becomes what I'm used to seeing, and then how quickly after that it becomes a weight I wish I'd see again.

Today I have to spend all afternoon at the library in Radford while Mary is in biology class, which at least means I won't be tempted to snack, but it still doesn't provide an opportunity for exercise.  When biology class started we used to go to the park, and I'd get in a five or six mile run.  But once school started the deal was that they had to finish their work before they could go to the park, and within two weeks they'd stopped finishing their work.  It doesn't help that someone in the kids section is playing with a game or toy that features children singing children's songs slightly too fast in chanty, scoopy voices, so people who come to the library needing to concentrate have no hope of doing so.  The teens have a hang-out room after school lets out that spills over into the main library as well -- when did libraries become such loud places?  If I could get a parking permit for Radford's campus easily I'd go THERE to work.  But the parking there is at least as bad as at Virginia Tech, and I don't know where their library is anyway, though I could probably figure it out.  I'm not sure that I'd have a public network connection there, not that the one at the public library is anything to write home about, since it drops out or times out every few seconds.  I'd go to Starbucks -- it would be quieter and have a better connection -- except the only Starbucks in this city is inside a campus building, and there isn't a similar coffee house nearby.  What kind of college town has a shortage of coffee shops?

(I think the worst thing about the kids' game is that it sang, "Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques, Here I am!  Here I am!" and then continued with "Where is Thumbkin?" for the rest of the verse.  Just because they are the same tune doesn't mean they are the same SONG.  Geez.)

Tonight is calm, so I should be able to put together something for dinner and maybe have time for a little exercise, but tomorrow we have piano in the afternoon and Cecilia's troop meeting in the evening (and I have no idea what the Brownies are doing, because it depends in part on how many girls show up, but also because we've just finished a bunch of badges so I'm not sure what we will start next), followed by cantor practice and then by choir practice, so I'll be out for most of the afternoon and then from 5:30 until 10, so I'll be lucky to get dinner in at all.  Friday is quiet during the day, except that Daniel gets home from his trip mid-afternoon, but then in the evening Mary has a Girl Scout outing and I have a girls' night out (unofficial bachelorette dinner -- someone in Daniel's department is getting married next weekend and his fiance has become a friend of the department as well, and she's not having any attendants in the wedding so when we were all slightly tipsy at the party this last weekend we decided we needed to go out drinking this weekend) that I planned before I went on a diet so I have to figure out how to go out drinking without really drinking or eating much.  I guess that qualifies as my day off from dieting, but as I learned in the game, that doesn't mean I can let it slide by more than 200 or 300 calories!

Generally speaking, I have somewhere I have to be driving to every day of the week, and the timing of dinner is tricky at least three nights of the week (more if Mary's troop meets on a different night), with Thursdays being by far the worst.  When I get home on Thursday nights I just want to eat crap and have a glass of wine or a beer.  So if I can get through Thursday I can get through any day.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Why did the kids' game conflate the two songs? Out of your whole post, that's the thing bothering me the most!!

Emily said...

Beats me! And I had to listen to it about a thousand times. I was ready to smash the computer in the library. Every week I vow to find somewhere else to go. This week I am REALLY going to find somewhere else. It was horrible.