Monday, November 18, 2013

Girl Scout cookie purgatory

I'd call my home "Girl Scout cookie hell," but that's where Sarah's living, and where I'll be in a few months.  I do this every Lent, actually -- I give up sweets or go on the game or do something ridiculous like that, just when my house is loaded up with cookies.  Fortunately I have many helpers getting rid of the cookies for me, so I can feel guilty if I take the cookies away from them by eating them myself.  Next month is Christmas cookie hell, also a fun time.

I only semi-tanked this weekend.  I ate very carefully all day on Friday, until I went out drinking, when I had two cocktails (some kind of lemonade, very yummy), two glasses of wine, two creamy shots (a Dirty Girl Scout, which I highly recommend -- Thin Mint flavored -- and a Slippery Nipple), and a porter.  But aside from the liquid calories it wasn't outrageous; I had a salmon dinner over mashed sweet potatoes, and a generous pile of broccoli.  Doubtless it was all drowning in butter, and I was a Good Eater.  So, calorie-wise, if I'd skipped all or most of the drinks I probably would have been just where I was aiming, but instead I was a good thousand calories over, I suspect.  My weight was way down on Saturday morning, even after I'd gotten up at 6 am to chug some water and Tylenol before going back to bed for an hour and a half.

Then I ate my usual breakfast on Saturday morning (cereal and milk, though I was a teensy bit short on the cereal, and I can't remember if I ate any almonds afterwards) and I stuck to an apple-pecan chicken salad for lunch.  And at the party I showed restraint; I didn't drink, and I tried to stick to a few pieces of fruit and veggies, and some hummus on chips and bread, and not much of that.  But I ate one piece of cake and then I had a whole s'more even though I only meant to have a marshmallow.  It's funny how that happens.  At Mom's, again, I showed a teensy bit of restraint; I ate a reasonable dinner portion and drank water.  But I gleefully ate dessert and even had whipped cream.  I have no clue how to count calories for the day, but I was certainly well beyond a healthy range, and but for the salad there wasn't a lot of nutrition in my day.

Yesterday I did count calories, and I hit it almost exactly.  I again had a yummy salad.  But no exercise.  I haven't exercised since Thursday, though I did a fair amount of walking downtown on Friday, so that day wasn't a total loss.

I'm in my routine now, so I'm eating reasonably today.  But I haven't worked out how I'll exercise today.  I didn't get up early enough to get it in, and I'm about to start my driving-all-day routine -- kids to art class far away, kids FROM art class far away (and I have Celie with me, so I can't drop them off and go for a walk in the neighborhood), Mary to a Scout event, Xander to a Scout event, pick up Mary from Scout event (I should be able to do the last two in one trip), pick up Xander from Scout event.  And get to the grocery store for supplies (chocolate -- the Boy Scouts have copied our s'mores) for Scouts.  I'll get my exercise getting in and out of the car.

No comments: