Thursday, November 14, 2013

King Arthur Flour is cruel

The King Arthur emails that come through always have amazing, gooey desserts (or fluffy, unhealthy bread).  I think, Oooh!  I should bake!  But then I remember I can't eat more than a crumb of anything I'd bake.  It's depressing.  And this weekend I have the girls' night out and then a long drive (fast food!  Fortunately not tempting to me anymore -- I genuinely dislike pretty much everything fast food now) and then a birthday party and then a long return drive the next day.  I'm doomed no matter where I am.

Meanwhile I put a crock pot stew on so I will be able to eat tonight -- chicken and sweet potatoes and gold potatoes and carrots and tomatoes, and various and sundry seasonings including cinnamon and nutmeg but also paprika and pepper, so this should be interesting.  But short on vegetables.  And I have  (boring whole wheat) bread baking in the machine because I've forgotten every night for four days to put it in overnight, and the grocery store has been sold out of preservative-free whole wheat both times I've been in there.  So I gave up and set it baking even though it's long past lunchtime, figuring day-old bread tomorrow is much better than no bread at all.  And meanwhile both the bread and the stew smell amazing.  Both starchy, though.  I need more vegetables in my diet.

Yesterday I had a headache almost all day, though I ate a snack and walked to Kroger (that mile and a quarter of walking ended up being my only exercise) and during that phase I felt better.  I also forced myself to get closer to 1200 calories for the day; I thought I'd hit it, except then when I was recording the pancakes (whole wheat!) that we had for dinner I realized I'd forgotten the oil in the pancakes, which is a major portion of the calories in them.  I could have had a fourth pancake (they're not very big).  Today I'm trying to be less stupid, so I'm going to make myself have a mid-afternoon snack before I'm seriously munchy.

The sweet potatoes are still hard as wood after four hours.  I'm having to take it on faith that they will finish cooking in the next five hours.

I already got exercise today -- my only likely window of time -- by doing 30 minutes on the Wii.  I'm seriously failing on calorie burns here, but I have to hope I'll be gaining muscle.

No comments: