Tuesday, November 30, 2010

One pound up

146.6 today, which was better than I expected. I ate road food and Thanksgiving food all week and didn't exercise at all. In fact, I haven't gotten any formal exercise since the bike trip two weeks ago. My work schedule has been so weird that I haven't been able to take lunch breaks to get to the gym, and my desire to get up at 5 a.m. to go running is precisely zero.

Getting on the scale this morning, I literally closed my eyes, scared of what I might see, so 146.6 was a bit of a relief. I'm not saying I'm happy with the weight, but I was worried that I would have gone all the way back up to 150 again.

I've got two or three weeks until the Celtic Solstice run, which seemed like such an easy event a few weeks ago when I was running regularly and the air was crisp but not cold. Now with cold rain I'm worried that it'll be a miserable event--lousy weather making being outside horrible and me out of shape again making 5 miles seem endless. But I'm going to the gym this afternoon, so that'll be a start. Another start. I've had a lot of fitness related starts in the past five years!

Food-wise, I've discovered two foods in the past 24 hours that should be yummy but aren't, and I regret getting them at all. Yesterday we were having 15 bean soup for dinner so Brian asked me to pick up some crusty bread to go with it. I was at Sam's Club and got a roll of their French bread, which looked o.k. enough in the package. Turns out it's squishy and flavorless, so flavorless that even Claire rejected it, and she's usually more than fine with squishy and flavorless. Then today, after prompting from some FB friends, I ordered a salted caramel hot chocolate from Starbucks. Really not worth the calories! Yuck! To be fair, it may have been made wrong--the barista messed up when putting the lid on the first time so ended up reapplying the whipped cream, caramel, and salt. That was the mistake, I think. Way too much salt. It wasn't bad at the start, but it all sank to the bottom of the cup and the last half inch was undrinkable and I'm still sucking down water like it's going out of style. I like salty-sweet combinations, but I think I'll stick to chocolate pretzels from now on. And my usual Americano from Starbucks.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I just can't get excited by most of the flavored coffees I hear people rave about. I tried Starbucks' Toffee Mocha in a sample this fall and it really just tasted like an oily latte. The gingerbread and pumpkin drinks also taste wrong -- like they aren't supposed to be liquid. Like cake/pie batter, only warm. I just like lattes, and regular mochas if I'm feeling chocolatey. (Wish I had a Caribou here -- I DO like the campfire mochas.)

Chop up the french bread, let it dry out a little, and turn it into croutons. It doesn't have to have its own flavor for that -- toss it with olive oil (not too much -- my first croutons were so nauseating it was years before I tried again) and parmesan and garlic powder or whatever else strikes your fancy, and bake. Simple and yummy.